Ask some of the world’s best Italian chefs who makes the best food and a hefty portion of them will respond with, “my Nonna”. And it’s no wonder when every Nonna has her own special recipes and unique way of cooking. We’re not Italian ourselves (sob!) so we’ve teamed up with Sandhurst Fine Foods, who know more than a thing or two about capturing Nonna’s touch in the kitchen, to bring you a series of traditional Italian insights (and to help you become a whiz in the kitchen!)
Here are 20 things you'll hear on a daily basis if you have an Italian grandmother.
1. You need to eat more.
2. You want turkey next-a Sunday? Ok I make-a lasagne.
3. You're having lunch with a friend? Is he a handsome Italian man?
4. Oh, you full? I make-a you dessert.
5. You're too skinny, I make-a you a snack.
6. When will you get off the Facebook and give me great-grand-babies?
7. I gave Rosa’s daughter your straightening iron; your hair looks better curly.
8. You look terrible, are you hungry?
9. You’re not hungry? You don't love your Nonna?
10. We don’t need a recipe, we're Italian!
11. You don't have boyfriend? I pray for you.
12. Can't sleep? I make-a you an espresso.
13. Someone answer the telephone? Oh, it’s just the television.
14. What does Nonna want for Christmas? More family.
15. You have a headache? You have more wine.
16. You only have four slices of lasagne, you don't like Nonna’s cooking??
17. Don’t use those hand towels, they're just for show.
18. You wanna cheese with your gnocchi? MORE THAN THAT.
19. Who is this Ryan Gosling? Is he Italian?
20. Wear your hair down, you need a husband.
Editor's note: This article is proudly sponsored by Sandhurst Fine Foods and endorsed by The Urban List. Thank you for supporting the sponsors who make The Urban List possible. Click here for more information on our editorial policy.
Image credit: Federica Portentoso for The Urban List