Many restaurants had to change as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic that hit Australia in early 2020.
If you can't make it into Florentino soon, here's their amazing Melanzane Parmigiana recipe for you to cook at home. This one serves six to eight people.
- 50ml olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 x 400gm tins whole peeled tomatoes
- 250ml water
- 2 basil leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 6 eggplants
- 800ml tomato sauce
- 500g mozzarella sliced thinly
- 100g grated Parmigiano
- 10g dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Put the tomatoes through a food mill and discard the seeds and any peel, put aside.
- In a large pot add the olive oil, garlic and onions and cook without colour until onions are translucent.
- Add the tomato paste, basil and mix well through the onion and garlic, allow the tomato paste to cook out well while stirring for a few minutes. Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the water and simmer the sauce on low to moderate heat for 45min until sauce becomes rich and flavoursome, adjust seasoning.
- Pre heat oven to 180c
- Trim the tops of the eggplants. Peel and slice eggplants ½ cm thick lengthways.
- Heat a large saucepan with some olive oil and sear the eggplant golden place onto paper towel.
- In a 30cm x 20 cm baking dish line the bottom of the dish with tomato sauce (not too much), followed by a layer of eggplant, a sprinkle of Parmigiano, a layer of mozzarella, a pinch of oregano and seasoning, then line with tomato sauce and repeat process until near the top of the dish finish with tomato, Parmigiano.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes.
Need more cooking inspiration? Head to our Recipes section.
Image credit: supplied