You can’t beat meat. Slow-cooked, smoked, barbequed and pulled...we want it and we want it all! Whether it’s sandwiched in a bun or served on the bone, meat is well and truly our favourite thing, well, ever. For all you readers that share our carnivorous love, we’ve complied a list of must-go places for meaty feasts. Vegetarians, shield your eyes. This one ain’t for you!
1. What’s better than meat? All-you-can-eat meat! For one set price you can eat until your heart’s content at Wildfire on Princes Wharf. The restaurant specialises in Brazilian churrasco (translation: the meat is cooked to perfection over glowing coals).
2. If you’re pretty game when it comes to meat (pun intended), pop into wild food restaurant Cazador. They dish up game meats and fresh ingredients sourced from New Zealand hunters and producers. Think lamb tongue fries, braised pheasant and confit pig tail—mmm!
3. No meaty list would be complete without mention of Ponsonby’s much-loved Miss Moonshine’s. This barbecue joint is all about slow cooking, wood smoking and quality New Zealand meat. We’re particularly fond of their tender beef brisket. Pro tip: save room for their equally delish desserts.
4. Next time you’re in Ponsonby Central, pick up a stool at Argentinian barbeque joint El Sizzling Chorizo. If you’re having trouble choosing between short ribs, pork belly and chicken thighs, we suggest you go for the parrilada dish that features a whooole bunch of different meats.
5. When it comes to meat, you can’t go wrong with low and slow and no one knows this better than Fireworks. You’re the master of your meal at this smokehouse. Choose your meat/s and side/s and you’ll be served a platter of finger-lickin’ goodness.
6. You also have free rein on your order at Mt Eden’s Brothers Juke Joint BBQ. Their tick-box menu allows you to pick and choose your meat, accompaniments and sauce to create your perf meal. The options are endless with pork rib, mutton, pulled pork and pastrami all up for grabs.
7. With Sean Connolly at the helm of SkyCity’s The Grill, it’s no wonder this New York steakhouse has got it goin’ onnn. Whatever cut of steak you’re into, you can guarantee Sean is whipping it up in style. Oh, the steak tartare is not to be missed—it’s prepared right before your very eyes!
8. Giving Takapuna a taste of Colombian-style barbecuing is El Humero. Their meaty dishes are cooked to perfection over traditional wood-fired and charcoal grills. We can’t go past their Manuka-smoked beef short ribs. Order with a side of cassava wedges—they’re not to be missed!
9. If you find yourself at Woodpecker Hill, you must MUST order their signature 14-hour smoked beef brisket. The flavours of the East embrace the culinary techniques of the West at this Parnell restaurant—hence why this dish is flavoured with chilli, lemongrass and galangal.
10. Originating in Queenstown, Botswana Butchery brings a taste of the Deep South to the heart of Auckland’s CBD. Order from ‘The Butcher’s Block’ menu and feast on the likes of lamb shoulder, eye fillet and venison loin. What’s more, the restaurant also knows a thing or two about dishing up exceptional seafood dishes.
11. Dixie Barbecue was on to a good thing when they came up with the concept of an American barbecue on wheels. The food truck specialises in flavours of the south, serving Texas-style beef brisket, Georgia-style pulled pork shoulder and Alabama barbecue chicken. Y’all better get amongst.
12. Operating for more than 40 years (!) Angus Steak House claim they serve the biggest and best steaks in town. They’ve stood the test of time thanks to their selection of beef, lamb, pork and venison—all cooked to your liking.
Love ya meat? Check out our round-up of The Best Steak In Auckland.
Image credit: Wildfire