Carbs, we love nothing more than putting our fat pants on and spending some quality one-on-one avec toi. Whether you’re a bowl of cheesy pasta, an amped-up burger or a giant, fluffy pancake, you can knock on our door any day (except maybe in summer—you and our bikini bods don’t have the best track record).
If you’re keen to go full carb-o mode or just want to dabble in a dish or two, here are 15 of Auckland’s best carb-loaded meals to get amongst.
- Potato AND bacon on pizza is quite literally a carb lover’s dream. Gorgeous Pizza Bar’s Sophia creation features the good stuff (bacon), sliced roasted ‘tato, spring onion, pesto and mozz.
- Orleans’ buttermilk fried chicken and chipotle maple glaze waffles are where it’s at.
- Struggle to choose between nachos and a burg? Cleaver & Co’s Not Yo Nacho burger sandwiches a plate of nachos between two soft buns for a carbolicious time.
- Or get amongst Little Easy’s deep-fried mac’n’cheese burger with bacon jam.
- The Elephant Wrestler’s Elephant platter doesn’t mess around. It’s chock-a-block with the likes battered lamb haute dogs, fried pork dumplings, salt and pep squid rings and panko-crumbed cauli.
- Why settle for a regular pancake when you can get a 20-minute pancake? Domain & Ayr’s legendary, fluffy pancake is bigger than yo head, drowning in berry compote, maple syrup and marscapone and takes 20 mins to cook.
- While Fatima’s chicken chawarmas are gangster on their own, chuck in a handful of potato koftas and you’ve got yourself a cracking carb feast.
- The Fridge’s mince, mozzarella and potato pie is a carb-on-carb heaven. In fact, we bet you won’t be able to stop at one.
- All the bagels from The Tannery, espesh the BBQ brisket.
- Al’s Deli cheese curd-y, 150g Angus poutine burger. If that ain’t carb-loading, we don’t know what is. Oh, and get a doughnut ice cream sammie while you’re at it.
- It might not be a meal but deep-fried Oreos live at Pakuranga Night Markets and you have to go meet them.
- Two words: Bolognese pizza. Volare in Manukau take a mozzarella pizza and top it with their homemade tagliatelle Bolognese. The more carbs, the merrier!
- Bedford Soda & Liquor’s meatballs on pasta, mash or in a sub. Carbs, carbs, carbs.
- La Cigale’s croque monsieur. Need we say more?
- Fall into the warm embrace of the three cheese gnocchi at Italian restaurant, Venosa in Kingsland.
Continue your carb-loaded journey with our list of Auckland’s 25 Best Fat Feeds.
Image credit: Bon Appetit