Brrrr, it’s cold in here! But before you start moaning about it, we’ve got a wee reminder for you. Winter equals snow. And snow equals skiing and snowboarding, which equals endless hours of fun. If you still haven’t made it to the mountain, 2016 is going to be your year.
Here are 20 reasons you should totally do the snow and hit the slopes this year. Go on, you ski bunny, you.
- The snow is totally magestical. A glistening slope on a bluebird day is enough to make anyone go giddy.
- It will get you up at sparrow’s fart. Once you get hooked on skiing or snowboarding, you’ll want to be on the mountain at dawn. And you can here!
- You can’t beat the adrenaline-fuelled feeling that comes from shredding through some fresh powder or taking part in a comp.
- Or how stoked you’ll be after conquering the slopes on your first day.
- It’s the perfect winter weekender with mates. Queenstown’s Winter Festival is a must for your NZ bucket list.
- Après ski parties are the best. Nothing like mulled wine to beat the chill.
- Plus, there’s no hangover that crisp, alpine air can’t fix.
- The views are generally off the charts and you’ll feel on top of the world.
- Skiing and snowboarding will make you hella fit but you’ll be having too much fun to notice the muscle pain.
- You’ll look totes extreme wandering around town in your ski gears, and stay nice and snug thanks to your merino Icebreaker thermals.
- And you can get away with wearing ugg boots in public.
- You can justify gorging yourself on cheese fondue and hot chocolate because skiing burns aaall the calories.
- Without sounding like a cliché, you’ll meet heaps of new peeps. On the chairlift, in the bus, in the bar, from accidently crashing into them on the mountain…
- It will give you something to look forward to every winter.
- And you’ll have the eternal satisfaction of becoming better and better each season.
- And, just like riding a bike, you’ll never forget how to do it.
- You can bring the little ones in tow. Either pop them into ski school or teach them the ropes yourself. Heck, you can even bring your dog.
- Night skiing is a thing and it’s awesome.
- So are snow angels. And sledding. And tubing. And snowball fights. You can even get a taste for it on Aotea Square’s ice slide.
- All in all, it’s a bloody good time.
Convinced yet? Good! Here is Our Guide To Hitting The Slopes In New Zealand.
Image credit: Cardrona