Kiwis, we’re an adventurous bunch. If we’re not frolicking about in faraway lands, we’re planning our next frolic in a faraway land. But, once we leave our stunning shores, we get hit with emotion like a swift punch in the face whenever we realise that certain things aren’t readily available anymore.
Here are 21 things you’ll find yourself missing about New Zealand once you ditch it.
- Calling jandals by their appropriate name. Not bloody flip-flops or thongs.
- Good coffee. Y’know, the kind that doesn’t taste like dishwater?
- Awesome, independent cafes and eateries that aren’t chain and don’t suck.
- Christmas meaning fresh seafood and sunshine, not muddy snow and jumpers that play music. Although they’re pretty awesome.
- Enjoying polite and friendly conversations with people that serve you.
- Having the freedom to use a public toilet without paying. What the actual?
- Not having to justify the delicate and noble art of sausage sizzles.
- If you’re in the US…Money that can’t be ripped up and ruined.
- Actual beaches. No, the seaside isn’t the same thing, and no, pebbles are not sand.
- And beaches you don’t have to share with too many other humans. It’s all fun and games until you’re sardined in.
- Pies, glorious pies. ‘Nuff said.
- The pleasant and comforting chirping of birds in the wee hours of the morn. You’ll miss it more than you expect.
- Mentioning nek minnit, ghost chips and Richie McCoy, and everyone knowing exactly what you mean.
- Toffee Pops, pineapple lumps, Tip Top ice cream, Mallowpuffs…you always miss what you can’t have.
- Kumara. None of this orange sweet potato business, please.
- Using Kiwi slang without having to translate yourself.
- The stars! Those starry night skies are something spesh.
- The mountains, bush, lakes, glaciers and Mother Nature in general.
- Cheap Sauv! And reasonably priced Central Otago Pinot.
- Being able to drive to the supermarket. Carrying groceries on the tube ain’t an easy feat.
- Walking around barefoot. Nothing like free tootsies.
- Your (Un)Official Guide To Speaking Kiwi
- 20 Things That Happen When You Move To New Zealand
- 19 Signs Your Parents Are Kiwi Expats
Image credit: allevents.in