Let us walk you through a quick hypothetical. You’re trying to save money, stop eating badly, and start bringing your lunch to work. You’re two days into this new commitment when you’ve begun to run out of ingredients, you’ve already spent more on groceries for the week than you would have on buying lunch each day, and you’re sick to death of tinned tuna.
Say no more—we’re the exact same, and we get it. Oh boy, do we get it.
It’s this exact hypothetical that meant we were over the moon to team up with UNCLE BEN'S Express Rice to bring you this list of three work lunches that are healthy, easy to make, and most importantly: won’t break the bank. Plus, they just so happened to have launched their rice cups for one—so there's absolutely no need to share. Choose between Mexican, brown or basmati and prepare to make the most delicious work lunch you’ll eat all year. You read our minds, UNCLE BEN'S. To save even more coin, do your shop in one go, and split the ingredients across all dishes, or even better, use whatever is lying around in the fridge—winning!
And yes, you can totally nail these in your office kitchen. No Nigella-level skills required. And you definitely do not need to know what 'mise en place' means to smash these out.
PS—they’re in store NOW, so you can make these tomorrow.
#1 The Rice Bowl
- Uncle Ben’s express brown rice cups
- Iceberg lettuce
- Smoked salmon
- Chop your veggies up into small, bite-sized pieces except for the salmon
- Place rice into microwave for 40 seconds
- Empty rice into your bowl, top with chopped vegetables and salmon
Pro Tip: The ingredients for this one will last you more than one serving, so prep your veggies in advance to store in a Tupperware container for the week so you can eat this all week long. You can also use ingredients from the bowl in the other recipes, too, which will save you even more cash!
#2 The Burrito
- Uncle Ben’s Mexican express rice cups
- Can of black beans
- Can of corn
- Sour cream
- Place rice cup into the microwave for 40 seconds
- Empty cooked rice in to bowl with a tablespoon of black beans and a tablespoon of the cheese. Stir together until cheese is melted
- Place wraps into the microwave for 20 seconds to soften them
- Top wraps with rice and bean mixture as well as avocado and chopped lettuce from your bowl (above)
- Roll up, serve
Pro Tip: Fill up your wraps with any leftovers from your rice bowl; corn, cucumber, capsicum, whatever takes your fancy!
#3 The Stir Fry
- Uncle Ben’s Express Rice cups—any flavour
- Broccoli head
- Preferred chili
- Chop up your broccoli head into florets, fry in your pan with olive oil until outside leaves are crispy
- Place chopped peanuts in pan with chopped chilis, stir fry
- Place rice in microwave for 40 seconds
- Place rice in your preferred serving dish, top with broccoli and garnish with peanuts and chili.
Pro Tip: This is the cheapest dish included, and it will last you at least a whole week!
Keen to whip all of these up and kill your lunch game? Here’s everything you’ll need:
- 3x serves of UNCLE BEN'S express rice cups
- 1x avocado
- 1x iceberg lettuce
- 1x broccoli
- 1x chili of your choice
- 1x cucumber
- 1x capscium
- 1x can of corn
- 2x tomatoes
- 1x can black beans
- 1x packet of wraps
- 1x packet of smoked salmon
- Sour Cream
Image credit: Grace Elizabeth Images