East Auckland is a stunning part of Auckland, with plenty of things to do for foodies, beach-lovers, those looking to soak in a little history and those who love adventure.
Whether you’re looking for somewhere new to visit, or you’re a local looking to uncover some hidden gems, you’ll find it all!
- Sail to Chamberlains Island aka Ponui Island in the Hauraki Gulf.
- Indulge in some of New Zealand’s history and visit the Howick Historical Village.
- If you get the timing right, you can experience a Live Day at the Village, which will take you back to 1840.
- When you get a bit hungry, head to Homestead Café and try some delicious homemade cooking.
- Have a hit of golf while enjoying the panoramic view overlooking the Hauraki Gulf at Howick Golf Club.
- Or, if you have fears of getting distracted, try the park setting at Pakuranga Golf Club.
- Nab yourself some hand-crafted gems at the Howick Village Market held every Saturday.
- Appreciate the beauty of the Huntingwood Gardens at the privately owned house. It’s open to visitors but bookings are essential.
- While you’re out there, visit the Prenzel distillery and book in a group tasting tour.
- On your way out, purchase some goodies for friends in the infamous gift shop.
- Watch a Whitford Pony Club rally on a Saturday morning.
- Get immersed in nature and spot some wildlife at Whitford Bird Garden. If you’re lucky you may find an alpaca.
- Explore archaeological sites along the Mangemangeroa Valley Walkway, and soak in the stunning view on your way.
- Catch the ferry from the CBD to Half Moon Bay and check out the boats along the marina—make sure you visit Grangers for a bite to eat and a drink.
- If you feel like taking a dip, then walk over to Bucklands Beach.
- Pack a picnic and chill out at the Omana Regional Park.
- Discover the white sand beaches along Maraetai and the Beachlands.
- To get a full-blown East Auckland experience, walk the Pohutukawa Coast Trail that will take you through all the Eastern suburbs.
- If you want an easier trail, enjoy a stroll along the Maraetai Loop Walk.
- Enjoy some Maori history when visiting Duder Regional Park. You will spot some archaeological sites around the park along with a marae across the road.
- See what the East Coast beaches have to offer and walk along the 6km Beachlands to Maraetai walkway.
- If you consider yourself a bit of an adventurer, then take the self-guided, multi-day kayak Te Ara Moana trail.
- Or, if you prefer to eat over exercise, then visit the gourmet markets at Pine Harbour.
- If you have an obsession with motorsport, then you will thoroughly enjoy visiting the Pine Harbour Motorsport Museum.
- And, if you’re not one to just sit back and relax, then get into the passenger seat and experience some hot laps at the Highlands Motorsport Park.
- Practise your American Baseball skills at The Fieldhouse.
- View some art or get involved with a workshop at Uxbridge.
- Go alpaca spotting at the Cuesta Alpaca Farm.
- Take a scenic flight over the Hauraki Gulf from their base at Ardmore.
- Be a health nut and try some organic wine at Turanga Creek vineyard.
- 30 Things To Do In Central Auckland
- 30 Things To Do In North Auckland
- 30 Things To Do In South Auckland
- 30 Things To Do In West Auckland
Image credit: Places NZ