If you haven't ventured South for awhile, then you're missing out on some awesome theme parks, infamous markets and beautiful beaches, and we just can't get enough.
So, whether you’re taking a venture out South, or you’re looking for some new local discoveries, read on for 30 things to do in South Auckland.
- Take some visitors to the Manukau Heads Lighthouse, it’s one of the few in New Zealand that are open to the public.
- While you’re there, explore Awhitu Regional Park with a walk, mountain bike or swim at the beach.
- Visit the wild and wet black sand beach, Karioitahi, facing the Tasman Sea. This really is a hidden gem.
- Park up for the evening and go camping at the Peninsula Campground.
- Browse through the arts and crafts on offer at the Awhitu Country Markets.
- Hike to the top of the Mangere Mountain and enjoy the views.
- Walk through the Otuataua Stonefields Historic Reserve, the 100-hectare area has archaeological remains of the communities that lived and worked on the land.
- Feed some animals and pet the lambs at Ambury Regional Park.
- Be a thrill-seeker and head to Rainbow’s End for some exhilarating rides.
- Tempt the tastebuds at the Otara Markets, held every Saturday with Pacific Island, Maori and Asian stalls.
- Stop and smell the flowers while enjoying the Botanic Gardens, home to more than 10,000 plants.
- Learn about the culture of Māngere at the Arts Centre, which showcases art in the community.
- Make a day of it and have a few too many vinos at Villa Maria.
- If you’re a fan of butterflies, a trip to Butterfly Creek is a must-do.
- Nearby, you can test your skills with some Mini Golf at Treasure Island Golf Adventure.
- If you’re more of a pro, take yourself to the Pukekohe Golf Club.
- Finally, you can shoot your annoying friends, take them on in a round of paintball at Lock N Load Paintball Park.
- Get your speed on with some Formula E racing at Formula E Raceway.
- Get amongst nature and visit the Hunua Falls—but be careful not to swim!
- While you’re there take your bike and ride along the Hunua Ranges.
- For more challenging trails, head to Totara Park and enjoy riding alongside giant trees.
- If walking is more your thing, take the walking trails beside the Puhinui Stream.
- Have a friendly tennis match at the free tennis court around Totara Park.
- Hang off some ropes at Rocket Ropes in Manukau.
- Freak yourself out with an evening activity at Spookers.
- Get some new treasures at the Franklin Market, with handmade jewellery and traditional bone carvings on offer.
- Shop up a storm and get all the bargains at Dressmart in Onehunga.
- If you have an event to host, check out Kauri Bay Boomrock for your next location.
- While you’re out there, stop in at the Clevedon Markets for some fresh produce.
- Go for a quick dip and enjoy the beauty of Maraetai Beach.
- 30 Things To Do In Central Auckland
- 30 Things To Do In West Auckland
- 30 Things To Do In North Auckland
Image credit: Clevedon