Summer is finally here and, if you're not able to get away this holiday, don't mope about and feel sorry for yourself because we’re here to tell you to turn that frown upside down because the City of Sails is exactly where you want to be during these warmer months. While other people will battle hours of traffic jams and packed beaches as they leave the city, you’ll find Auckland an oasis.
Whether you’re looking at chilling out or wanting to eat and drink your way through summer, Auckland really is your playground.
Sounds good, amiright? Here are 30 epic things to do in Auckland this summer. Think of it as your summer bucket list!
- No summer would be complete without a dip in the ocean, and Auckland has plenty of city beaches calling your name.
- But if you’re worried about sharks, you can make like Flounder and swim in one of Auckland’s pools.
- Kick off your Christmas festivities with a trip (or even more!) to Silo Park. There’s an Ice Cream Sundae Market, Great Dog Day Afternoon, live music, games, markets and even Santa himself!
- See if you can beat the heat and devour a gelato from Giapo before it melts.
- Make the most of Auckland’s new cycle lanes and hire a nextbike. Don’t forget the selfie on the newly repainted pink path!
- Put on those walking shoes and enjoy Auckland’s best walks and hikes.
- Head to Aotea Square for a backyard party all summer long. There’s a Latin Fiesta, a retro day and even gardening workshops if that’s your thang.
- Why camp if you can glamp? Take things up a notch and have a stress-free snooze under the stars at one of these spots.
- Escape the searing heat and go and see a flick at one of these fabulous cinemas.
- If you think New Year’s Eve in Auckland is boring, think again. Head to Silo Park for the epic Wondergarden Festival or to any of these hot spots.
- Don’t waste the following day nursing a hangover, because Auckland does not sleep. No, no! Get all the eats, beats and dranks at Smales Farm where Heineken Presents: Highlife New Year’s Day.
- Summer is the season of wine (drinking it, obvs) and Auckland is where it’s at. Park yourself on the deck at Villa Maria and have a cheese platter as you sip wine. Or, head to any of Auckland’s best wineries.
- If you prefer your drinks…err…stronger then work your way through our list of Auckland’s best cocktails.
- Pack a blanky and sit under the stars while watching a film. Silo Park kicks things off this with Love Actually and continues each Friday until mid January. Meanwhile, Movies in Parks has a whopping 26 movies to watch for free.
- Go dotty at the Auckland Art Gallery’s Obliteration Room. Here, you’ll be given some stickers and all you need to do is place them around the room. Perfect for your Insta!
- While you’re feeling cultured, don’t miss the Banksy exhibition at the Aotea Centre.
- Nothing screams summer like a picnic and, with everyone out of town, pack up those delicious treats and head to one of these spots and soak in the sunshine.
- The most magical times of day are just as the sun is rising and again as it is setting…make the most of nature’s beauty at one of these spots.
- Feel all your stress drain away and catch a ferry to Waiheke Island. From there, head to Cable Bay Vineyard, lie back on one of their beanbags and drink and eat your hours away.
- If Waiheke feels a little too ‘Auckland’ then there are plenty of other islands in the Hauraki Gulf, each just a hop, skip and jump (or ferry ride!) away.
- If you prefer to stay closer to home, then hit up one of these Auckland rooftop bars.
- Add a little adventure to your life and go white water rafting—you don’t even need to leave town!
- Make the most of the season of abundance and go strawberry picking at one of these top spots, and don't forget ice cream!
- Dress up and head along to the ASB Classic. There’s great food, a great vibe and great sport.
- St. Jerome’s Laneway Festival returns this January to Albert Park. Enjoy the shade, the bars, the street food and of course, the music makes it one of the best things to do this summer.
- If you’re down for a roadie, take one of these scenic drives or even a beach day trip.
- Nothing spells summer like our national tucka of fush’n’chups.
- Head to Red Beach at low tide and walk around the rocks, exploring the pools. Or, at high tide go for a splash in the cove.
- Go to the Land Rover New Zealand Polo Open, dahhhling.
- Summer is the season of love. Forget about Paris because Auckland is the City of Love. Make the most of all it has to offer with these outdoor date spots.
- 50 Things To Do In Auckland This Summer
- 30 Things To Do In The Coromandel This Summer
- 50 Outdoor Adventures To Have This Summer
Image Credit: Jaiden Bhaga, Cable Bay, Banksy, Silo Park, Mt. Albert Aquatic Centre.