It’s all well and good for fashion eras to come back in style, but we’re a little concerned when it includes trends from one of the worst style eras of our time—think belly-baring tops, ultra-mini skirts, matching outfits and wrap-around sunnies.
When we heard the ’90s are coming back into fashion, our stomachs sank and our minds raced with 31 (precisely) thoughts. And here they are.
- Is the slip dress a nightie you found in your PJ drawer? Or do we actually have to go buy one exactly the same to claim that it’s not?
- We’re seeing ’70s flares, but are baggy flares going to become a thing again?
- When should we bring out the zip-off cargo pants?
- Gypsy what? Gypsy skirts? Does that mean we go join a gypsy commune?
- Slazengers, Gallaz, Etnies, perhaps the most uncool shoes to rule them all. We hope this doesn’t come back into style.
- Denim mini-skirts are making a comeback. How short is too short.
- Is Paris Hilton cool again? Velvet tracksuits. We have no words.
- Do we have to start working out now for our midriff bearing top?
- Will we look more French with a baker boy cap?
- Balayage no more? Are buzzy bee stripe highlights coming back?
- Halter necks, boob tubes and one-shoulder tops—bring them back, baby.
- Ok, so double denim is officially a thing. When will we make like JT and Britney’s famous denim debut and go quadruple denim?
- Will tomboys be cool again? Avril Lavigne anyone?
- Hipster jeans coming back? Say hello to Mr Muffin top.
- Layer that cute band tee over your longsleeve, clash prints and colours—anything goes!
- Material belts anyone? We’re hoping we said a final goodbye to these in the 90s.
- The All Saints are calling our name, note: matching group outfits and Timberlands.
- It can get pretty bright outside, and nothing says practicality more than your classic Dirty Dog wrap-around sunnies.
- The name says it all with Ugg boots, are these really going to make an appearance outside of our house?
- I thought tattoo chokers wouldn’t come back into fashion, yet here they are.
- Say hello to lace-up pants, because buttoning isn’t hard enough. We’re feeling reminiscent of Christina Aguilera’s ‘dirty’ video clip.
- Gwen Stefani was totally our style icon for 90’s grunge girl and she’s still cool.
- We better start asking our hairdresser for the “Rachel” haircut again.
- Praising the Spice Girls platforms for all the short girls out there.
- Never fear if you can’t grow your hair—clip in extensions are all the rage.
- Farmer girl gone grunge, flannel shirts are totally acceptable, right?
- Let’s go camo…Destiny’s Child ring a bell anyone?
- Ok we’re actually digging Mom jeans…shout out to Monica from Friends.
- Leave the purse at home, bring out the fanny pack for everything you need will be right in front of you…
- Not sure what mood I’m in? Let my mood ring tell you.
- We won’t need to worry about misplacing our wallet again with the super-handy wallet chains.
Want to keep walking down memory lane? Here are 50 Things Every New Zealander Remembers From Their Childhood.
Image credit: Actitudfem