Summer, the season of freedom, memories and most importantly, FOOD. Aucklanders, consider yourselves blessed as this city has some of the best eats to put the cherry on top of this season and make it one for the ages. Given how amazing the Auckland foodie scene is, it’s hard to know where to start! Never fear, just in time for those warmer months, we’ve come up with a handy dandy bucket list for you to tick off over the summer.
- The Caker: The home of some of the best cakes in Auckland, their Christmas cakes are back and better than ever. You can’t go past the Summer Berry Trifle and Rum and Egg Nog!
- Cali Press: Fresh pressed juices, smoothies and massive acai bowls—does this scream summer or what?!
- Phil Greig’s Strawberries: New Zealand summer just wouldn’t be the same without their real fruit strawberry ice-creams.
- Winona Forever: Eton Rifle summer edition now includes chocolate covered strawberries…um…YES PLEASE. Don't forget that brioche either!
- Takapuna Beach Café & Store: Fish and chips by the beach but in the best way possible.
- Domain Ayr Café: Get in there now that you finally have the time to wait 20 mins for the fluffiest pancakes in town.
- Little Bird Unbakery: Serving up the realest fruit cakes and festive pumpkin pie in town.
- Dante’s Pizzeria: Authentic Italian pizza in the hot sun, it really doesn’t get much better than that.
- Big J’s Burgers: Takeaways by the beach is something you need to do as someone in New Zealand.
- Moustache Cookies & Milk Bar: The wintertime is for warm cookies and milk, summer is for ice cream sandwiches and these guys do it right.
- Giapo: An Auckland classic that can be enjoyed in any season, but it reaches its peak in the summertime.
- Saan: Thai food was made for summer. Endless seafood and their Som Tum Papaya Salad is a must.
- Snowman Dessert Café: When you want a snow cone and an ice-cream, Korean shaved ice is the way to go.
- Sen Vietnamese Bar & Kitchen: You can’t do summer without one of their summer rolls.
- Odettes Eatery: Summer menu features the Honey Granola, Apple Bircher and their crepes now have an option to add pistachio ice cream.
- Best Ugly Bagels: Simplicity at its best. Avocado season is here which means the T.A.B (tomato, avocado and basil) is back.
- The Kimchi Project: One of the best courtyards in Auckland can be enjoyed to its full potential in the summertime, along with their Kimchi Fries.
- Island Gelato Company: New kid on the block all the way from Waiheke has opened up a store in CBD and serve some of the best mint choc chip in town.
- Simon & Lee: Korean fried chicken and an ice cold beer in the sun can be your days’ plan this summer.
- Bowl & Arrow: Smoothie bowls at their absolute best, add some cheeky peanut butter in there to make it extra creamy.
- The Smoothie Bowl: Their Tropical Spirulina Bowl and Pitaya Bowls are a must.
- Ostro: Fresh seafood and bubbles with a view is something you just gotta do in the summer.
- Ebisu: Take your seafood fix to the next level and enjoy some of the best sashimi served in Auckland. Don’t forget to finish it off with their Yuzu Sorbet.
- Non-Solo Pizza: With outstanding Italian food and a breath taking ambience, this place will be capturing all the sun and flavours this summer.
- Baduzzi: Speaking of Italian, you can’t skip this summer without getting some of their famous meatballs and of course, their indulgent tiramisu.
- Casita Miro: Branch out of Auckland and enjoy some tasty tapas while sipping on some rosé at one of Waiheke Island’s most beautiful restaurants.
- Riba Fish & Chips: Takeaway some fried Kiwi classics and make your way to Mt. Victoria Summit and have a cheap dinner with a view.
- The Grove: Bask in the sunlight in their courtyard located on St. Patrick’s Square while being treated to a fine dining experience.
- Ollies Ice Cream Parlour: You can never have too much ice cream in the summer time. If you haven’t tried their Coconut Mallow flavour, get in there now.
- Billy Café: With a view of Auckland Domain, these guys can whip up some of the freshest frozen sangria’s in town.
- 30 Things To Do In The South Island This Summer
- Weird And Wonderful Places To Stay Around New Zealand
- 30 Things To Do In The Coromandel This Summer
Image Credit: Lauren Matilda Matthews