We brought you the best of the best Thai, Indian and Malaysian restaurants in Auckland and now, we’re turning things up a notch with one of our favourite dishes: curry. From mind blowingly spicy to the smooth and creamy, curry is a dish that screams comfort and gives you an instant dose of the warm fuzzies. If you’re in the market for something like that, you’ve come to the right place. Here are some of the best curries in Auckland—the mild, the wild and everything in between.
- Blink and you’ll miss it but Top Ten is home a stellar penang curry. This delightful dish combines homemade spicy curry paste, coconut cream, vegetables and kaffir lime leaves with your choice of chook, beef, tofu, prawn or seafood.
- A best curry list wouldn’t be legit if a green curry didn’t feature. Kingsland fave, @Bangkok has a mean green cooked in chilli paste and coconut milk. It also makes the most addictive roti in town.
- We get it, choosing just one curry to feast on ain’t easy. That’s with 7 Siri Taste of Sri Lanka solves the dilemma by offering lump rice—spicy rice wrapped in banana leaf— with three vege and three meat curries #winning.
- For something a bit different, Kiss Kiss have got the goods. Their Northern pork belly curry with ginger, green beans and fried shallots will leave your taste buds wanting more.
- There ain’t many places you can get goat curry in Auckland but Chapati Indian Restaurant is one of them and it is gooood. This succulent meat features in everything from saagwala, vindaloo and the beloved ‘butter’ curry.
- Mekong Baby’s massaman curry is truly something spesh. A succulent duck leg bathes in a lake of fragrant sauce with pineapple, potatoes, shallots and peanuts, and it’s a total must-order.
- Another standout duck curry is Saan’s gaeng keelek ped yarng. They sear duck breast to perfection before laying it on pickled eggplant with a cassia leaf bitter curry. Yes and yes.
- When it comes to seafood curries, you just can’t beat Oh Calcutta’s prawn malabrai. Juicy prawns sautéed with onions, capsicum, coriander and fresh coconut cream—zingy, fresh and all sorts of delicious.
- Selera are pros at the Malaysian food game and hold the secret to a mighty fine chicken curry recipe. Mop it up with stacks of buttery roti.
- Musashi has three locations (St Heliers, Milford and New Lynn) so you really have no excuse when it comes to popping by for an epic chicken katsu curry.
- Fan of fish? Ela Cuisine in Elliot Stables makes a beaut fish curry with fresh fillets.
- Take a trip to Indo with Legianz Waoeng Indonesia’s ayam tuturuga chicken curry. This flavoured-packed creation is made with chicken and is rather hot but balanced beautifully by fresh lemongrass, kaffir and pandan leaves.
- Curry in a hurry AND on a budget? Shubh is the answer. Located on Sandringham Road, this popular restaurant has a long list of vege curries averaging on six bux a pop.
- Satya always delivers on a comforting, soul-warming curry. We can’t go past the murg badami—chicken with almonds cooked in a specially treated south Indian gravy. Don’t forget a side of garlic paratha.
- Curry and cocktails? Ponsonby’s MooChowChow serves up exactly that. Our pick is the red curry with chargrilled beef cheek. Mmm, mmm.
Lover of the heat? Get amongst Auckland’s Spiciest Dishes…if you dare.
Image credit: Can't Live Without