Hi, my name is Natasha and I’m a peanut butter addict. You’ll find me loitering in the pantry: jar of Fix and Fogg in one hand, spoon in the other. No bowl of porridge is complete without a big ol’ dollop of PB and if there’s no nut butter in that smoothie, I don’t want to know about it. It’s a jar-a-week kinda habit #yolo.
Yep, it’s safe to say I’m pretty obsessed. And, luckily for me and my fellow-nut addicts, this humble breakfast spread has moved out of the pantry and into the kitchen of some of the best, most innovative restaurants and cafes in Auckland.
Here’s a long-overdue list of Auckland’s best peanut butter errythang for all you nut lovers out there. Whether you’re team crunchy or team smooth, please, enjoy responsibly. Lol jk… Who am I kidding? Order double of everything!
1. Gather your PB-lovin’ squad and venture to The Sugar Shed in Pukekohe. Their peanut butter cheesecake is the mother of all cheesecakes. It stars both Nutella AND Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. Is this the real life?
2. Let’s be honest, we love everything Giapo does but a special shout-out must be made for their peanut slab creation. The dark chocolate peanut butter sorbet is topped with nuts and coated in gold glaze. Yes, please!
3. Whoopi know how to put a smile on a nut addict’s face. Picture a vanilla chocolate chip cake stuffed with PB buttercream, injected with a gooey caramel centre and topped with a PB drizzle and a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup. This one will test even the staunchest of peanut butter fans.
4. Peanut butter tastes best with either a) banana or b) chocolate. House of Chocolate’s Dessert Café does peanut butter cupcakes featuring all of the above. Pace yourself because it’s a meal within itself.
5. Get your PBJ fix at Best Ugly Bagels. They do a bagel generously topped with Pic’s (thee best) peanut butter and Te Horo raspberry jam. You can’t go wrong with a classic.
6. Prefer to get your fix in liquid form? Head to Little King and slurp down a superfood peanut butter blueberry smoothie. Health nuts (pun intended) will be pleased to know it’s gluten and dairy free.
7. If you like a side of PB with your poutine, grab a chimney sweep chocolate peanut butter shake at Federal Delicatessen. Diet? What diet?
8. Should you find yourself on the way to Matakana, be sure to nip into Charlie’s Gelato Garden for a scoop (or two) of their peanut butter chocolate chip gelato. Pit stops don’t get much tastier than this.
9. The Caker does an epic flourless cookie featuring oat, maple, raisins and peanut butter (of course). They’re big, fat and chewy—just the way a cookie should be!
10. If you’re all peanutted-out (these things happen), check out Better Butter. Inspired by Dutch speculaas biscuits, we lurve their almond and spiced cookie nut butter. Their nut butters are all gluten-free, vegan and refined sugar-free—hoorah!
11. It’s no secret that Burger Burger know a thing or two about burgers. But didya know they also do a mouth-watering peanut butter and chocolate thick shake? Nope, well now you do. Drink up, kids!
12. Picture this: peanut butter parfait with blackberry jelly, chocolate soil and Macintosh sauce. The Sugar Club, I guess you could say your PB game is on point.
13. Should you stumble upon Moustache’s brand-spanking new food bus, get amongst their peanut butter cookies. You’ll be pleased to know the chocolate cookie is packed with the good stuff (a.k.a. peanut butter).
14. Oko is also on that peanut butter buzz. They do a badass peanut butter parfait that that’s topped with PB bonbons. Yeah, you can stop drooling on your keyboard now.
15. This one isn’t for the faint-hearted (or borderline diabetic). Al’s Deli peanut butter cup hard shake has all the goodies: chocolate, salted caramel and vanilla vodka. Alcohol is better when peanut butter is involved.
More of a salted caramel fan? Check out Auckland’s Best Salted Caramel Everything.
Image credit: Rasa Malaysia