Pork belly…it’s actually like crack. Crispy, succulent and dripping with tasty goodness, there’s a reason why it’s one of our fave things to eat. And, lucky for us, Auckland dishes it out in a bunch of different and delicious ways. It’s popped in steamed buns, chucked into curries and caramelised to perfection—heck, there’s even a place that serves it up for brekky!
We’re guessing some of you also have a soft spot for this glorious cut of meat. So, we’ve fashioned this list of Auckland’s best pork belly dishes for you to trot out and try. Ready for it? Let’s get crackling.
- In case this wasn’t on your radar; pork belly corn dogs exist and they’re a thing of beauty. The Culpeper are responsible for these scrumptious, sinful creations served in a trio and dipped in a sticky sauce.
- Let’s be honest, everything Mekong Baby makes is gob-smackingly good but their braised pork belly with caramelised chilli, soy and Asian slaw is in a whole other league of its own.
- It’s time to get acquainted with Ramen Takara's crispy pork belly spring rolls. These bad boys come complete with shitake mushrooms, bamboo shoots and Japanese mustard making them the perfect entree before diving into a bowl of ramen.
- Next on the list for Auckland's best pork belly is none other than Lucky Buddha. Gracing us with a decadent braised pork belly with charsu glaze, bok choy, mango and tamarind relish and our favourite part, pork 'floss'. We'll take two, please.
- Just when you thought it couldn’t get any better, El Humero deep fry their pork belly and serve it with Arepa (a tasty corn pocket). It’s actually life changing.
- People go loco for The Blue Breeze Inn’s pork buns and rightly so. These babies come with huge hunk of crispy pork belly sandwiched between a pillowy steamed bun with pickled cucumber and hoisin sauce.
- Known for one of the best pork belly dishes in Auckland, Madam Woo's stir fried pork belly is the dish you need in your life. It comes with asian greens, oyster sauce and wait for it... A spiced crackling crumble! Holy s***
- Ebisu’s sticky pork belly is theee business. We’re talkin’ heavenly cubes of melt-in-your-mouth belly lathered in sweet sauce and topped with pickled cabbage for a bit of zing.
- Saan does a moreish braised pork belly dish. It's stir friend in peppercorn and red curry paste with snake beans, chilli and kaffir lime and needs to get in your mouth ASAP.
- Slow braised pork belly seems to be all the rage at the mo. Kura’s version is a rich delight served with English mustard and made to be washed down with hot sake.
- Home of authentic Argentinian barbecue, El Sizzling Chorizo know what’s up when it comes to meat. Their pork belly is crunchy, tender and best gobbled up alongside deep friend Dijon potatoes.
- One Tree Grill’s pork belly dish is nothing short of a masterpiece. Treat yourself to a pretty plate of Freedom Farms pork belly, parsnip, cider apple, sage, onion and crackling.
- We’re forever thankful to the food gods that Vivace’s rolled pork belly stuffed with rosemeary, garlic and caramelized onion is a thing. Can we get an amen?!
- At just $8 a pop, Chinoiserie’s braised five spiced pork belly gua bao with their homemade Gong sauce are a steal and you’re probably going to want more than one. Go on, you deserve it.
- Everything about Cafe Hanoi's pork belly is perfection. It’s caramelized for starters and comes served in a hotpot with ginger and coconut. Heck to the yes!
- The 20 Best Burgers In Auckland
- Aucklands Best Malaysian Restaurants
- Posh Porridge To Welcome Cool Mornings
Image credit: Alden & Harlow