Whether you’re hungover and need a greasy saviour to get you through the day or you just fancy a quick, healthy get-up-and-go brekkie, we can all agree on one thing: we all love a bargain. Science states that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and so we’ve compiled a list of our top 25 tasty breakfast steals to start your day off in the best way possible—and all for less than $15—winning!
1. Best Ugly Bagels: Bagels are life and Best Ugly are the top dogs. Great for on the go, we can’t get enough of their king salmon bagel with cream cheese, red onion, capers, dill and a drizzle of lemon juice.
2. Dear Jervois: No list would be complete without mention of the Insta-worthy brekkies at Dear Jervois. Featuring oh-so pretty edible flowers, their superfood cruesli is a steal at $14.
3. Cafe Mimosa: Vegan, gluten-free and totally delicious, Cafe Mimosa’s dark choc and cherry porridge is not to be missed. Chocolate for breakfast is always a good idea.
4. Little Bird Unbakery: We can always count on Little Bird for delivering us with our health fix. Their range of smoothies and shakes are good for the bod and good on the bank balance too. Our fave is their detox green smoothie.
5. Scarecrow: Kitchen, florist and grocer. Scarecrow have it all—including their $9 fruit salad served with homemade muesli and topped with coconut yoghurt. It’s piled into a cute jar, making it great for on the go.
6. Kiss Kiss: Kiss Kiss is a fave dinner spot and their breakfasts are equally delish. You can’t go wrong with a classic, and their eggs with toast will leave you satisfied and with money in the bank—it’s only $10. If you are wanting more, don’t worry, you can add sides.
7. The Apothecary: Avo holds a special place in everybody’s hearts. If it doesn’t, who are you?! Simple is sometimes best and The Apothecary’s avocado and tomato on toast is just what the doctor ordered.
8. Little Algiers: “Big breakfast for $13?” we hear you cry. Sign me up! Little Algiers’ big brekkie stars scrambled eggs, grilled chicken, roast tomato, North African sausage, garlic potatoes AND toast.
9. Major Sprout: Not only is the food at Major Sprout something worth singing about, but they host an extensive range of superfood smoothies. We can’t get enough of their $9 peanut buttercup smoothie because, let’s be honest, anything that involves peanut butter is a winner.
10. Ceremony: The city’s best hipster joint is king at serving up breakfast baps on the cheap. Opt for Ceremony’s brekkie sammie with pork and fennel sausage, egg, cheddar slaw and everyone’s favourite sauce: Sriracha.
11. L’Assiette: L’Assiette know a thing or two about dishing up a delish (and affordable) croque monsieur. The glorious French classic will delight the cheese-lovers amongst us.
12. Charlie & George: Back to basics and back to the butties. Charlie & George are keepin’ it real with their $12 bacon, egg and tomato relish buttered bap.
13. Petit Bocal: No one can compete with the French when it comes to croissants. Simple and satisfying, we love Petit Bocal’s butter and jam number.
14. Scullery: Crumpets. God we love ‘em. Especially when lathered in zingy, lemon curd much like the one from Scullery. It will set you back just $11.50.
15. Nick’s Café: Venture down south and you’ll stumble across Nick’s Cafe. Down-to-earth breakfast foods are a-plenty here, including their $10 black pudding stack with tomato, avo, mushroom, hash brown topped, hollandaise and—of course—black pudding.
16. Willow: Willow in Albany know how to do breakfasts. Spoilt for choice, we adore their creamy Portobello mushrooms with garlic breadcrumbs and parmesan on top of toasted ciabatta.
17. Orvieto: Orvieto have nailed grilled bruschetta to a tee. Tomato, basil, olive oil, mozzarella and pesto…that’s all they need to make you feel like you're dining in a rustic Italian village *sighs*.
18. Humbug Café: Sweet or savoury? One of the most important questions…ever. For now, it has to be sweet. We can’t resist Humbug Café’s $14.50 brioche French toast topped with banana, berries and crème fraiche.
19. Shaky Isles: You can’t go wrong with banana bread. Shaky Isles serve their version with Raglan Coconut Yoghurt or Lewis Road Butter. It will leave you with change from a tenner.
20. Waffle Supreme: Located in a tiny, red shipping container, these expert waffle makers are here to provide you with a tasty, hot breakfast snack to make sure your day starts fabulously. Served with maple custard and walnut, Waffle Supreme’s lumber man is an Urban List favourite—and just $8!
21. Cereal Killa: If you can tear yourself away from the freakshakes, Cereal Killa offer a great range of breakfast dishes to tide you over. We’re all over their smashed avo with feta and tomato.
22. Bolaven: Sticky rice for breakfast?! Yes, yes and yes. Topped with fried eggs and tomato relish, we’re loving Bolaven’s breakfast twist on a dinner dish. It’s just $13.50—bargain, much?
23. Little Sister Café: Beans on toast is a classic and sometimes you really can’t beat it. Little Sister Café’s version includes cocoa, tomato ragu, poached eggs and crusty focaccia. It’s a winning combo—trust us.
24. Cafe Eleven: Pretend to be a child again with Café Eleven’s eggs and soldiers. A complete classic for young and old, this throwback dish is a winner.
25. Cornwall Park Café: Pudding for breakfast. Get over the guilt and chow down on Cornwall Park Café’s bread pudding. Made with seasonal fruits and a whole lotta love, enjoy your $14 breakfast with a view in the park surroundings.
Want more? Check out 50 Of The Best Cheap Eats Under $15.
Image credit: Andrew Wilson