Day in and day out, Auckland’s worker bees get up, dress up and show up to their jobs and work their guts out before going home, only to begin again the next day. We get it. But here’s our advice: sometimes it’s a good idea to loosen that constricting tie, kick off those heels and get that Visa out for a spin. Guess what? You might actually enjoy yourself. All work and no play makes a very dull Andy.
And, Thursday is the perfect day to bunk off work early, round up your pals or workmates and head to one of Auckland best bars for an after work drink (or two).
- Gypsy Tearoom: Nestled in the hub of Grey Lynn, Gypsy Tearoom is the perfect spot to relax and unwind with an alcoholic bevvy from their carefully curated list. The tasty bar snack menu will tide you over until dinner time.
- The Grove: While it’s well known as one of Auckland’s best restaurants, The Grove is also great for an after work drink. With outdoor seating available, staff who treat you like royalty and a sleek design, it’s a classy choice.
- Bellota: Situated on Federal St, Bellota has little alcoves to nestle in privacy with your chosen drinking buddy, or you can sit along the long tables for a more social experience. The menu is varied and delicious and you’ll be tempted to stay long into the night. You’ve been warned.
- Citizen Park: Head to vibrant Kingsland to Citizen Park for a fun way to end your work day. The beer garden is sprinkled with lights, the drinks are just what you’re looking for and it has a great vibe to boot.
- Everybody’s: Whether it’s a shared outdoor table with benches, more intimate smaller tables on high stools or booths for a more serious sit down, Everybody’s is a great place to ease into the darker hours.
- Britomart Country Club: Serving up a wide selection of cocktails and sangria, The Britomart Country Club screens those essential rugby games you don’t want to miss, as well as mixing up your evening with DJs and live music.
- Meadow: Restaurant by day, Meadow is also a great place to unwind with a beverage before heading home for the evening.
- Vikki Lane Bar and Kitchen: Situated in (you guess it) a lane, Vikki's is the place to be when the clock hits five and the fun begins.
- Sweat Shop Brew: There’s a little bit of everything at Sweat Shop Brew Kitchen—outdoor seating, as well as a spacious bar and tables if you’d rather sit down and eat. There’s a brewery on site, as well as a barber if you want to go home looking more spiffing than when you left.
- The Empire: An Auckland institution, The Empire buzzes in the hours after work. It hosts gigs, quiz nights and even open mike evenings and there’s plenty of beer, wine and cocktails to keep you hydrated.
- Revelry: East meets West in this chic Ponsonby bar. Get merry-making with one of Revelry’s specialty cocktails or craft beers, or sample the wine from their international list.
- 46 & York: A Parnell fave, 46 & York have been doing their thing since 1929, so you know you’re onto a good thing. Enjoy the sophistication as you chill out with one of their imported tap and craft beers, ciders or seasonal cocktails.
- TSG: It’s all about big, fun nights out at TSG. The venue is expansive with exposed brick walls and parking signage, and you can head up the stairs for the balcony bar that overlooks the harbour.
- Mo’s Bar: One of the friendliest bars in town, Mo’s Bar is a small venue that is easily one of Auckland’s best kept secrets. This is the place to totally chill after work with a drink in hand.
- La Zeppa: Sitting pretty above Victoria Park Market, La Zeppa is a popular spot to head when the working hours are over. There’s plenty of outdoor seating with lovely views over our fair city as well as a tasty bar menu to enjoy.
- Bedford Soda & Liquor: What better way to celebrate the end of the day than with a signature cocktail from the guys at Bedford Soda & Liquor? There’s always an energetic vibe and the staff know their stuff. Chances are, you won’t want to leave.
- Jack Tar: Down on Wynyard Quarter, Jack Tar has loads of seats under red sun umbrellas overlooking the harbour or, head inside for a rustic feel. Out the back, there’s yet another smaller bar, giving you and your pals plenty of options.
- 16 Tun: A little more intimate and also on Wynyard Quarter, 16 Tun is one of Auckland’s best free houses. These people are super-passionate about the drinks they serve and have more than 120 different craft beers available.
- The Glass Goose: Another venue in Federal St that’s worth heading when you’ve clocked off for the day is The Glass Goose. Sit indoors if you’re planning on staying for a meal, or enjoy their expansive outdoor deck that always has the vibes going on.
- The Lumsden Freehouse: Board games, popcorn and beer, beer, beer, makes The Lumsden Freehouse a fab spot to unwind. There’s 120 craft beers and a seriously impressive bourbon selection and a laidback vibe that will have you forgetting about all those work woes in no time.
- Pocket Bar: This neighbourhood bar situated in Grey Lynn serves up an excellent range of both food and bevvies. With a glass roof that gives it an almost greenhouse vibe, Pocket Bar is will quickly become a fave.
- Flight 605: Morningside’s Flight 605 is one of the best bars in Auckland for an after work drink. Cosy and laidback, munch on the endless bowls of free popcorn and relax into the evening.
- Coco’s Cantina: There’s such an awesome atmosphere at Coco’s Cantina that chances are, you won’t want to go home for many, many hours. With its rustic vibe and friendly Italian style, work will seem a distant memory in no time.
- Hotel Debrett Housebar: Another Auckland institution, Hotel Debrett Housebar is an intimate bar, removed from the bustle of the streets. This is the place where legendary stories are made. Cheers.
Looking for more after work drink spots? Here are The Best Happy Hours In Auckland.
Image credit: Everybody’s