This weekend, we encourage you to get high (there’s a sentence we thought we’d never say!). No, we’re not talking joints and all that nonsense, we’re talking about getting high in a vertical sense. Having your feet planted firmly on the ground is cool and stuff but sometimes you just wanna take things up a level—literally. Lucky for us adrenaline junkies, there’s no shortage of places to get high in Auckland (mind out of the gutter, folks). Here are 15 places to enjoy a high adventure this weekend.
1. Auckland loves its volcanoes! You might be interested to know that at 196m, Mt Eden is the highest volcano in Auckland. Climb to the top this weekend to take in panoramic views of the city and beyond.
2. Standing tall and pretty in the heart of the CBD is Auckland’s Sky Tower. Feeling brave? Sign up for the SkyWalk and stroll around the tower’s 1.2m-wide platform 192m above ground. Feeling super brave? Opt for the SkyJump and leap off the tower.
3. You know that crazy reverse bungy that sits on the corner of Victoria and Albert Streets in the city? Well, that’s also known as the Sky Screamer (go figure). If you haven’t given it a go, it’s about high time—pun intended—you did. The ride catapults you into the air, reaching 200kmph in just two seconds—yikes!
4. You’ll come pretty close to touching the clouds at Rainbow’s End. They have five thrill rides for brave punters. We love the 18-storey high Fearfall as well as their newest ride, the Stratosfear. This ride gathers momentum as it swings before completing a 360-degree rotation.
5. Let your love of heights take you up the walls with a spot of indoor rock climbing. Visit Clip ‘N Climb and see how many of the 34 walls you can tackle.
6. Alternatively, visit Extreme Edge in Panmure or Glen Eden. The Panmure indoor climbing gym is the largest in New Zealand with more than 200 climbs to master.
7. If you haven’t tried zip-lining, this weekend is your chance! Waiheke’s EcoZip Adventures has three 200m-long zip-lines that zoom across stunning native forest. The dual cables allow you to fly side-by-side with a pal—Tarzan and Jane, much?
8. Channel your inner monkey at Tree Adventures. This forest adventure park has 10 high wire confidence courses that see you working your way from tree to tree. Expect swinging logs, balance beams and tree surfing.
9. Driving over the Auckland Harbour Bridge is sooo mainstream. Mix things up and opt to climb the bridge instead! The one-and-a-half-hour bridge climb sightseeing tour offers stunning views in all directions. Daredevils will wanna get amongst the bridge bungy.
10. Getting high needn’t be expensive. Venture to Piha and climb the Lion Rock track. The 30-minute track boosts spectacular views of the wild west coast beach. Bring your significant other and a picnic for two #romantic.
11. While we’re on the subject of walking, take a ferry to Rangitoto and mission-it to the summit.
12. Harness up and check out Rocket Ropes. The high ropes adventure park has something for all ages. We’re particularly fond of their croc and rocket courses. Both these courses take one to three hours to complete with more than 50 challenging aerial activities within them.
13. For the ultimate high adventure, book a scenic flight with Flight Hauraki. Enjoy a bird’s eye view of Auckland and beyond.
14. Alternatively, take off and land in the Auckland harbour with Auckland Seaplanes.
15. Last but certainly not least, shop check out High Street’s boutique stores and shop ‘till you drop!
Image credit: SkyWalk