Screw three-tiered matcha cruffins, it’s time to get back to basics. One timeless dessert that never fails to get the thumbs up from the neighbours/friends/in-laws/mum/yourself is the good old choccie mousse. This bad boy has breathed life back into countless awkward dinner parties, revived dull family lunches and re-ignited numerous year nine cooking classes. And we’ve formulated the most delicious recipe possible. And the best news? It’s ready in minutes, not hours, so you can satisfy that calorie craving right here, right now. You’re welcome.
Here’s how to make a bloody good chocolate mousse at home.
- 300g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup of caster sugar
- 1 tbsp of cocoa powder, sifted
- 300ml thickened cream, plus extra whipped cream to serve
- Grated chocolate, to serve
- Pop to the shops and pretend you haven’t already eaten three packets of cooking chocolate that morning. Maybe buy yourself an apple to ward off the imminent heart attack.
- Once you’ve got your ingredients, head home and click this link, you can thank me later.
- Next, place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of gently simmering water (make sure the water doesn’t touch the bowl if you don’t want to watch your choccie burn).
- Stir until it’s all melted before then removing the bowl and setting it aside for a breather (i.e. to cool, for those who aren’t down with Nigella Lawson lingo).
- Pop the eggs and caster sugar in a large bowl and give it a zap with electric beaters for a good 5 minutes, or until the mixture is pale, thick and twice the size.
- Then, fold in the sifted cocoa powder and cooled chocolate until the delicious mixture is combined (in the bowl, not your mouth, you animal).
- In a separate bowl, whip the cream until it thickens and carefully fold it into the chocolate mixture, keeping the mixture as light as poss. Spoon the chocolate-y goodness into six serving glasses (or just one massive bowl if you’re just going to eat it by yourself in front of the telly) and pop it in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Take it out, top it with extra whipped cream and grated chocolate, eat it so fast you vomit and then promise yourself you’ll only eat carrot sticks and tzatziki for a fortnight.
For a ton of other great recipes, head here.
Image credit: Brook Lark