Unfortunately flatting is never always rainbows, friendships and tidy living spaces. Sometimes, you share spaces with people who have no idea what a vacuum is and think that what's yours is theirs. It’s something that most people have to go through in their lifetime (and for a longer period these days) and for most, is a learning experience in itself.
And, because life, it seems to bring out the best (or worst) in some people, as well as a fair few generalisations. We here at The Urban List can relate to your misery, and so have lumped flatmates into 17 different and distinct categories. Get ready for a whole lotta finger pointing and relatable-ness.
And, if you can’t relate to anyone on this list, chances are, you’re one of them.
- The one who eats everything and anything that isn’t theirs. ‘Oh please, help yourself Simon, I didn’t want any of my own birthday cake!’
- The one who doesn’t know how to clean up after themselves. Lesson 101: How to put away dishes. Lesson 102: How to not kill your messy flatmate!
- The one who leaves things to ‘soak’. The lazy persons guide to pretending to be clean.
- The one who isn’t shy in the bedroom. Cue earplugs and dry retching.
- The one who leaves their washing out to ‘dry’ for about three weeks. ‘Battling through clothes horses’ should be a skill on our resumé.
- The one who’s bf/gf stays all the time and doesn’t pay rent. No matter how much we like you Kevin, we are not a charity!
- The one who is ‘always right’ and has an opinion on everything. And of course, only their opinion counts, duh.
- The one that is a total handyman. Broken shelf? No problem. Faulty appliance? Easy peasy. This is one to keep hold of for as long as possible!
- The one who parties all the damn time. 11pm on a Wednesday night is DJ dimwit’s slot for shit beats and angry flatties.
- The one who never leaves their room. Were they just a figure of your imagination? Who knows…
- The one that is completely at one with their naked form and doesn’t care who sees. Unless you’re David Beckham, put some clothes on!
- The one who is an experimental chef. Anything described as ‘surprise’ should have you running for the hills.
- The one who thinks that money grows on trees. Twenty-minute showers are a sure fire way to piss off the entire house. Remember that!
- The one who leaves everything lying around. Like a destructive whirlwind of clothes, bags and shoes, their possessions are around every corner and in every crevice.
- The one who is a complete social butterfly. Cue red face and awkward expression when you can’t remember their 150th friend’s name.
- The one who’s hair gets everywhere. A whole lotta eww’s, urghh’s and contemplating whether or not they are in fact a bear.
- The one who may as well work for noise control. No matter how quietly you chew, they’ll hear it and ask you to turn it down.
- 32 Things You Wish Your Flatmate Would Stop Doing
- 30 Things You’ll Never Hear An Aucklander Say
- 50 Things Every Aucklander Has Said At Some Point
Image credit: Student World Online via Twitter