Oh hey there, adrenaline-junkie! Looking for your next heart-racing fix, are we? There are numerous adventures (nine, to be exact) to wet your adrenaline appetite in Auckland. From bungys and stunt cars to jet boating and sky diving, these extreme activities will make your palms sweaty and your stomach drop. Proceed with caution: they’re not for the faint-hearted!
- First things first, we’ve gotta address that big ol’ tower that stands pretty in the heart of the CBD. You know the one…the Sky Tower! Sign up for the SkyWalk and you’ll find yourself strolling around the tower’s 1.2-metre-wide platform 192 metres above ground. If you’re extra brave, opt to do the SkyJump and leap off the tower.
- If you love the Fast and Furious films, this one’s for you. Red Balloon operate a stunt car driving school where you get to ride shotgun as you experience slides and spins. It’s then your turn in to take the driver’s seat as you jump a car seven metres (!) through the air, ramp-to-ramp over the top of another car. Whaddup, Vin Diesel?!
- You know that crazy capsule thing that sits on the corner of Victoria and Albert Streets in the city? That’s Auckland’s very own reverse bungy aka the Sky Screamer. If you haven’t given it a go, it’s about high time—pun intended—you did. The ride catapults you into the air, reaching 200 kilometres per hour in just two seconds.
- No article would be complete without mention of Auckland’s much-loved theme park. Yup, we’re talking about Rainbow’s End. They have five thrill rides for brave punters. We love the 18-storey high Fearfall and their newest ride, the Stratosfear. The ride gathers momentum as it swings before completing a 360-degree rotation—yup, you’ll be upside down for this one.
- There’s no need to leave the city to get amongst a bit of bungy action. Brave the Auckland Bridge Bungy and leap 40 metres off the iconic Harbour Bridge. If you feel having an ocean dip, there’s the option to touch the water on your descent—yeow!
- If jet boating is more your thing, you can zoom around the harbour with Auckland Adventure Jet. They’ll take you for spins and tricks out on the water, while giving you a 101 about Auckland and its surroundings. The boat goes in excess of 50 knots and is powered by twin engines that are both supercharged and turbocharged. Translation: this thing’s faaast!
- Get behind the steering wheel of a lambo at Drive Supercars. Based at Hampton Downs Raceway, you’ll get to take to the track in either a Lamborghini, Ferrari or Ashton Martin. If you can’t decide, there’s the option to drive multiple cars.
- Prefer to throw yourself out of a plane? Then hit up Skydive Auckland in Parakai. They offer the highest tandem skydive in the North Island, where you can jump from 16,500 feet—eek! The adrenaline will be pumping as your freefall for 75 seconds at speeds of 200+ kilometres per hour.
- Last but certainly not least, Auckland’s got white water rafting! Yup, you read that right—white water rafting! Vector Wero Whitewater Park is New Zealand’s first ever man-made river and white water course. Here they have a range of water activities including rafting, kayaking and stand-up paddle boarding. Their pump waterfall course is particularly epic with a 4.5-metre drop down a waterfall.
Total adrenaline-junkie? Check out 15 High Adventures To Enjoy This Weekend.
Image credit: Stray Travel