Oh, how the world loves fitness trackers. The oh-so popular tool is praised for knowing how on track your life is. Are you moving enough? Getting enough sleep? Fitness-ing enough? If not, what are you even doing with your time?
Now, while I love working out, and I’m partial to new accessories, I’ve never been an activity tracker kinda gal. Tbh, I didn’t understand the hype—other than the arm candy addition, what was the benefit?
How ignorant was I?! When I was given the chance to sport the very schmick new TomTom Touch for a week, I threw caution to the wind, strapped it on, and my training has gone from strength-to-strength (pun absolutely intended).
Thanks to this savvy piece of technology, I’m on track to a healthier lifestyle—and no one’s more shocked than I am. Here are four surprising things that happened when I wore a fitness tracker for a week.
I Gave Up Chocolate
As much as I love leading active lifestyle, I also really, really like chocolate. No day is complete without a sweet treat (or two). Working for The Urban List basically means all the doughnuts, chocolate and cake my heart desires—tough gig, huh?
When it comes to healthy eating, a lot of people swear by the 80:20 rule. That is, eating healthy food 80 per cent of the time, and indulging in your fave treats for the other 20 per cent. I’m more of a 60:40 gal (ice-cream is life) but I figured enough was enough, I wanted to aim for that goal ratio of 80:20.
…And Was Better For It!
While Friday burgers are still a thing, the fitness tracker motivated me to cut back on other unhealthy treats (laterz, daily ice-cream). What makes the TomTom Touch unique is its body composition analysis.
That’s right, hold your finger on the touch button (hence the name TomTom Touch) and the nifty piece of technology will let you know your muscle and body fat percentages.
The watch sends a small, harmless electrical current through your body. The current flows more easily through muscle than through fat, so with this data, an estimate of your body composition can be calculated—amazing, right?
For the week-long period, I tested my body composition at the same time each morning. And while it’s a no-brainer that losing weight or gaining muscle doesn’t happen overnight (we wish), by the end of the week my body fat had decreased by 2%. This incred technology was the motivation I needed—I can’t wait to see what the next week brings!
I Started Walking More
TomTom’s goal to walk 10,000 steps a day really motivated me to get my A into G! On a rainy Sunday arvo, I found myself doing laps around the coffee table. Yeah, I know—total weirdo. But those 10k steps weren’t going to walk themselves!
I found myself going for a lunchtime walks around the block. It was a great excuse to get some fresh air and get those steps in. In 15 minutes, I could easily do 2000 steps (aka just over 100 calories). I returned to the office feeling refocused and energised.
At the end of each day, I’d log into the TomTom Sports app to see how active my day had been. And yes, I managed to smash the 10k steps erry’day—a well-deserved pat on the back for me!
I Discovered My Heart Is A Total Champ!
The TomTom Touch also tracks your heart-rate. While my heart-rate dropped to as low as 55bpm overnight (talk about being sooound asleep), it was interesting to see what got my heart racing during an average day.
Opting to take the stairs, playing with our office dog Doug, and walking and talking to my mum on the phone, all got my heart-rate chugging along around 100bpm. A weekend hike saw it reaching a peak of 180bpm—woah!
Funnily, watching Netflix’s Stranger Things also got my heart pumpin’. Don’t judge me for being a total scaredy cat—that alien thing is hella freaky! Perhaps I should swap my gym workouts in favour for binge-watching scary movies?!
While I may have not been a fitness tracker kinda girl before, things have certainly changed. Here’s to being on track to a healthier lifestyle (but I’m gonna need a piece of chocolate now and then!).
Editor’s note: This article is proudly sponsored by TomTom and endorsed by The Urban List. Thank you for supporting the sponsors who make The Urban List possible. Click here for more information on our editorial policy.
Image credit: Kellie Blizard