Everybody loves bananas. And, if you don’t, shame on you—you’re not welcome here. This versatile fruit makes the world a better place. From cake and dumplings to waffles and smoothies, these creations are best enjoyed with a decent dose of ‘nana goodness. Luckily for us Aucklanders, many of the city’s cafes and restaurants also share our love of the humble yellow fruit. Here are some of our fave spots to get our banana fix in Auckland.
1. Whoop whoop! Banana whoopi cakes are a thing in Auckland. Get amongst Whoopi’s banana, walnut and salted caramel delight.
2. You haven’t lived until you’ve tried banana dumplings. Yes, you read that right—banana dumplings! Xuxu has a banoffee dessert dumpling and it’s all sorts of awesome.
3. While we’re on the subject on banoffee, The Fed do a hella delish banana and toffee pie. It’s served pretty with caramel popcorn. Wash down with a ‘chimney sweep’ peanut butter and chocolate shake—heck yes.
4. Fact: waffles are best enjoyed with banana. Nobody knows this better than Little King. They have not one but TWO ‘nana waffle offerings: bacon and caramelised banana as well as banana walnut.
5. There are plenty of reasons to love bananas at Dear Jervois. Here you’ll find gluten-free waffles served with caramelised banana, bacon, mascarpone and maple syrup. Their acai bowl also stars the yellow stuff and they have three banana-packed smoothies.
6. Head to Cereal Killa for a freakshake—or ‘killashake’ as they call them—and grab a Nutella, peanut butter and banana bagel while you’re at it. This bad boy is oozing with goodness.
7. Make a beeline for Nanam to try a turon. A what? This Philippine snack is basically a crispy deep-fried banana spring roll. It’s as delicious as it sounds. Nanam serve theirs with jackfruit gel and choc-nut soil.
8. You’re never too old for a banana split. Polish your burger off with a BB split from Burger Burger. This dessert features all the banana: Kohu Road banana ice cream, banana foam, banana chips and—of course—an actual banana. Do you even banana?
9. We find Greenleaf Organics’ banana chocolate chip loaf rather appeeling (pun intended). It’s gently toasted and served with cinnamon butter. My oh my!
10. They know a thing or two about ‘nanas at Little & Friday. Here you’ll find a crumpet topped with caramelised banana, hazelnut, mascarpone and honeycomb. Enjoy with a banana and caramel doughnut because #yolo.
11. Bananas and coconut go together like Allie and Noah. Pick up one of Little Island Coconut Creamery’s banana coconut milk. It’s not only delicious but also dairy, gluten, nut and soy-free—holla!
12. You’re spoilt for choice at Grill And Shakes—they have 69 (yes, 69!) milkshake flavours. While we love both the Toffee Pop and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup shakes, we’re also big fans of their banana cake shake—made with real banana cake!
13. If you’ve travelled to Thailand, no doubt you consumed countless banana fritters. Get your fix from Joy Bong with their hot fritters served with vanilla ice cream. One bite and you’ll be magically transported back to the streets of Bangkok.
14. Should you find yourself in Takapuna, pop into Honey Café and order a serve of their black rice and coconut dish. The brekkie pudding features lemongrass-infused black rice, coconut cream and banana. It’s topped with fresh fruit, making it both pretty AND tasty.
15. If you prefer your banana in liquid-form, check out Little Bird’s drink menu. They have two banana-filled smoothies (berry antioxidiser and cacao superfoods), as well as a caramel banana shake and a banana nut milk.
16. Like us, Bluebell’s Cakery are bananas about, err, bananas! We love their banana and salted caramel mini loaf. You can also get this in cake or cupcake-form.
17. We can’t go past The Caker’s refined sugar-free banana, maple and cinnamon crumble cake. It’s basically a cake and crumble hybrid and it’s—quite simply—the tits. One slice is never enough. We’re warning you now.
18. Is there anything more comforting than a slice of banana bread? Nope, probably not. We love Monday’s gluten-free banana bread topped with fluffy vanilla ricotta, almond flakes, cinnamon and a drizzle of honey.
19. Three-thiryitis getting you down? Nip into Delish Cupcakes and get your mitts on their banoffee cupcake. This banana cupcake is stuffed with gooey caramel and topped with caramel banana cream. Get in my belly.
Love peanut butter as much as you love bananas? So do we! Check out Auckland’s Best Peanut Butter Everything.
Image credit: theflorencenoble via Instagram