So it’s Friday, and you just realised that you’ve already spent this fortnight’s pay cheque on way too many beers and pretzels at Octoberfest. Crap. What are you going to do this weekend other than obviously eat that six month old packet of two minute noodles for dinner?
Don’t worry, we’ve got your back.
Here’s a list of the best free things to do in Brisbane that won’t judge you by your bank account.
- Tackle the Kangaroo Point stairs. If you want an extra challenge do it while reciting alphabet backwards… guaranteed LOLs.
- Go people watching at the Queen Street Mall. Find a seat, take a snack and observe the colourful personalities of Brisbane.
- Make yourself cute, flirt with a stranger and hope to score a free drink at Sixes and Sevens.
- Get lost in the rhythm with a stranger at Latin Fridays, Reddacliff Place (outside Treasury Casino) from 7 pm.
- Take off your shoes in the city Botanical Gardens and feel the grass between your toes. Why not work on your tan while you’re at it?
- Go for a swim at Soleil Pool Bar, put on an English accent and charm a kind stranger.
- Race your friends and roll down the grassy hill at River Quay, South Bank.
- Learn at thing or two about WWII at Fort Lytton and catch a peek of their next cannon firing.
- Check out Sunday night burlesque at the Press Club, Fortitude Valley.
- Go for a cruise around Brisbane on the City Glider and write an anonymous kind note. Leave it on a bus seat to brighten up a stranger’s day.
- Play a game of Marco Polo at Street’s Beach, South Bank.
- Why not bust out your retro neon 80s spandex gear and have a laugh with your friends at South Bank’s free exercise classes on Little Stanley Street Lawns?
- Go for a walk over the Gateway Bridge and lap up the beautiful views and get in a free workout.
- Go for a hike to Mount Coot-tha lookout and count how many bush turkeys you see on the way.
- Have a chilled out weekend at Sunday sessions on the Green at South Bank where you can play fun lawn games and enjoy live music performances.
- Check out the Botanic Gardens at Mount Coot-tha and admire the beautiful flora and water dragons.
- Go for a walk at UQ Lakes and follow the cute ducks.
- Cruise the Brisbane River on the City Hopper and take plenty of selfies in front of Brisbane landmarks.
- Wander around the enchanting State Library of Queensland, find a quiet nook and read a book.
- Watch the sunset from Kangaroo Point Cliffs.
- Borrow $5 from your mum and buy a gelato from Nom Nom Gelato or a doughnut from NODO or fries from Ben's Burgers (What? It's still free!)
Looking for more things to do in Brisbane? Check out our list of 50 Things To Do In Brisbane Under $50.
Image credit: Ariana Gillrie