When December swings around, many of us indulge in one holiday tradition or another. For some it’s setting up a Christmas tree just so, for others it’s to go on a wild gingerbread house-baking spree.
One thing that everyone seems to hold dear is a go-to holiday film they screen every year - and for The Urban List office, our film of choice is Love Actually. Octopus costumes! Dancing Hugh Grant! First love! Emma-bloody-Thomson bawling her eyes out to Joni Mitchell. I mean, what more can you ask for?
So, if you want to live your Christmas the Love Actually way, here are a few ways you can go about it.
1. Dance like nobody’s watching: CC: Hugh Grant The Prime Minister. And Sarah when she (nearly) bags Karl (sob).
2. Create a new swearword: Go on, get creative and make something Billy Mack would be proud of. Someone is bound to piss you off royally during the silly season.
3. Seduce a politician: Or two, if you’re a bit of a Natalie.
4. Learn a musical instrument to impress your true love: If it worked for young Sam, and countless nerds who have gone on to become rock stars, you’ve got a shot.
5. Go skinny-dipping: We have the good fortune of our Christmas being in Summer, plus glorious beaches - so no need to dive head first into a conspicuous lake.
6. Spend Christmas in a foreign country: If Colin Frissell managed to bag a bunch of babes via his cheeky accent, perhaps you will too.
7. Embrace the emotive female-driven pop: Dido, SugarBabes, Girls Aloud, Mariah… need we go on?
8. Tell someone you love them: Holding up giant cards declaring, “Just because it’s Christmas” “(and at Christmas you tell the truth)” :’(
9. Spend some quality time with a close mate: Christmas doesn’t have to be all about family, you know. Bring over a bottle of something and reminisce about the years gone by.
10. Christmas wrap like a BOSS: Who would have thought Mr Bean was such a precise prezzie wrapper?
11. Perform your favourite Christmas song with ‘new and improved’ lyrics: Performance must include saucy back-up dancers.
12. Throw a dress up party: We hear lobsters and octopi make great costumes, even if eight is a lot of legs.
13. Stand up for yourself: Prime Minister Hugh was not going to just stand there and let President Billy Bob violate “Britain”, so if you’ve got something to say, now’s your chance.
14. Flirt in a strange situation: It will make for a great story later - and after all, it panned out for John and Judy.
15. Embrace the PDA: Go on, propose to your partner with a whole Portuguese village watching, or launch yourself onto your lover at the airport, we won’t judge.
16. Surrender to the total agony of being in love. Sam may be young, but he knows what’s up.
What's that? You love ugly Christmas jumpers? Here are 38 Ways To Tell You're Having The Most Melbourne Christmas Ever.
Image credit: Love Actually