At the Urban List we can appreciate many a fine thing, whiskey being one of them. What we can’t appreciate, however, is that so many of you beautiful people are out there living a life free of a fine whiskey. So, being the kind folk that we are we’ve chucked together the ultimate how-to for ordering whiskey.
#1 Ask Your Bartender
First things first, there’s no shame in having a conversation with a bartender about which whiskey to order, they probs love the stuff just as much as you and will be happy to divulge the latest whiskey trends. Plus, there’s nothing worse than that sigh of judgment when you order good whiskey as a shot – the waste, people, the WASTE!
#2 Know Your Varieties
A good whiskey, like a good pair of jeans, comes in many varieties. Here’s the briefest of brief rundowns. Here are the different types of whiskeys out there:
- American Whiskeys encompass varieties such as rye, bourbon and Tennessee.
- Irish Whiskey is produced in Ireland (duh?) and has a cleaner taste than Scotch due to the malting process, which means this is your best pick for a lighter whiskey.
- Japanese Whisky was named the best whiskey in the world for 2015, Suntory Yamazaki Single Malt Sherry Cask 2013 to be precise. Japanese whisky is based on the Scottish tradition – don’t you dare include an e here.
- Scotch Whisky. Pay attention, this one is confusing. First off, you’ve got your single malt and your single grain and then you’ve got your three blends: blended malt, blended grain and then blended scotch… and all of these can only be made in Scotland.
#3 Order Like A Pro
Still with me? Now order something!
If you’re feeling:
- Sweet: Try bourbon such as Maker’s Mark or Jameson 18
- Smoky: Try Scotch such as Lagavulin or Glenmorangie 12
- Spicy: Try American Rye Whiskey like Wild Turkey 10 or Rye Willit
If you’re new to whiskey try it neat so you can fully enjoy the taste. But if you’re looking to enjoy the effects, rather than the taste, order it however you please: on the rocks, with Coke, with water or go full Don Draper and order it as a cocktail.
So there you have it – you’re ready to get out there and order some whiskey with your confidence in check. You’re welcome.
Where to drink it? Check out our article Brisbane’s Best Whiskey Bars!
Image credit: Ariana Gillrie