Not to be that person who makes a big deal about their birthday, but please stop everything you’re doing at look how big we are, because The Urban List has just turned five years old!
Yep, The Urban List been dishing up the best of the best for five whole years (and we don’t look a day over four). It’s been a hell of a ride, and we’ve picked up a few friends along the way, namely our pals in Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, and our first international brus in Auckland.
Now that we’re wearing our big boys pants we thought it was high time to let our hair down and celebrate the only way we know how, with a good list. So, to mark our 5th birthday, we’re counting down our team’s ultimate Brissie Top 5s—those Brisbane businesses who’ve kept us fed, watered, dressed, and (somewhat) fit over the years, without which we’d be lesser humans.
Supporting these brill’ businesses is what gets us out of bed in the morning. We hope some of our favourites have become yours too.
Eat, drink, lagree, repeat!
1. camargue to feed my out-of-control bassike and Dries Van Noten obsessions
2. Kin & Co for the prettiest smashed avo EVER. Wizardry. How do they do it?
3. Studio 45 lagree classes to try to get my post-baby bod into shape.
4. Luke Reynolds to tame my mane and stop me from looking Amish
5. Jocelyn’s Provisions' Portuguese custard tarts. And chocolate sour cream cake. And ricotta tortas. ‘Nuff said.
Brisbane, you beauty.
1. Gerard's Bar aperol spritz and charcuterie boards
2. Julius for their always epic duck ragu
3. Hot Harlow's pilates class
4. The Modern: I'm obsessed with their amazing fit out and plants galore
5. Zimmerman or Aje for wardrobe investments
This changes daily, but here’s where I’m at today!
1. Beccofino for the best calamari outside of Italy
2. Ben’s Burgers for their perfect milk buns
3. Bar Alto for its famous mussels
4. Simplicite for their always reliable (and beautiful) skincare products
5. Brooklyn Standard for the best margs and vibes in town
It's like choosing between my babies, but here goes!
1. Gerard's Bar for beers and oysters, any night of the week
2. Little Hair Nest for taming my nightmare of a head of hair
3. Fresh Sushi Co for their freshhhh chirashi sushi
4. Jardan Furniture where I like to stare at things I can not afford
5. Crust & Co for France-quality pastries on le weekend.
Hungover breakfasts and indoor plants…it’s all about balance.
1. Sono CBD for Sukiyaki and Chuhai to take me back to Tokyo
2. Side Street Kitchen for hungover eggs benny and a big, big coffee
3. Sunday Social for unique, vintage and adorable finds (and hoops)
4. Cafe Omai for an iced matcha latte and a big ol' bahn mi
5. Brookfield Garden Center to fund my plant addiction
Steak, steak and more steak
1. Sandgate Fish Monger for frites with a view
2. Bar Alto for those times you feel like eating a steak for two, for yourself
3. One Wybelenna for much-needed peace and quiet
4. Pia Lane to get my hair did
5. The Brekky Creek Hotel for a sneaky steak and a beer off the wood