From conception to school years, the Gold Coast is a pretty lovely place to make and raise new humans.
Pregnant days will be spent lounging on the beach with bump in a sand hole dug by your other half (aka newfound slave). New born days will be spent introducing babe to the world in a clean environment and temperate climate. And toddler-dom will encompass coffee dates with your mum-pack and a whole lotta time with the grandparents.
But with all this wonderful, there’s still an inevitable list of trials and quirks that come with being a new mum on the Gold Coast.
Let us dish out just a few of the standouts, if for no other reason than motherhood camaraderie...
- No mum gets to complain about the birthing experience when they get the John Flynn spa suite with ocean glimpses.
- …or Pindara’s maternity experience at the Versace #RealHousewivesOfTheGoldCoast.
- Even if you give birth in the thick of winter, you’ll probably find yourself in a bikini three weeks post partum.
- You don’t really feel like a Gold Coast mum unless your newborn’s first car ride was a black SUV.
- You don’t remember what a crashing wave feels like ‘cause baby likes the creek.
- You enrolled your child in school the same day you decided to stop taking the pill and let nature take its course…and there’s still a chance there’s no space left at All Saints.
- There’s not a single square kilometer left on the Gold Coast in which you haven’t yanked your top up for a breastfeed.
- You’ve gone through four litres of Mrs Flannery’s organic baby sunscreen, and baby’s not even six months old.
- You cried in Baby Bunting at some point during your pregnancy because: what are all these things and do I really need them?!
- In your baby’s first week of life you feel a trickle of fear running down your spine imagining them experimenting with a cocktail of illicit drugs in the nightclub sardine tin that is Surfers Paradise.
- Baby likes car rides so you’ve discovered new parts of the Gold Coast you had no idea existed—turns out Molendinar is kind of pretty.
- Sometimes when you’re driving along the Gold Coast Motorway you have a little shudder of guilt remembering that time you pulled over on a tiny wedge of grass, leaving half your car to be dodged by oncoming cars, just to find a dummy. Most of the time safety comes first, but not always.
- Places like Whole Beings Holistic Education Studio make you realise your tiny honey is embarking on a better life than anyone you’ve ever known.
- The incredible Gold Coast fresh produce situation has your baby gorging on organic home-smashed mango avocado puree every day of the week
- You’ve heard the LOL about your baby boy learning to surf by age three at least 25 times. Meanwhile, baby girl’s destiny has no assumed skillset. Maybe she’ll just become a Meter Maid. LOLJK.
If you're a Gold Coast mum, it also means you're a part-time professional bruncher. In that case, have you visited all of these top Gold Coast cafes?
Image credit: Brooke Darling for The Urban List