Rise and shine, sweet brekkie thieves, because today is a brand new day and another opportunity to wrap your lips around an egg and bacon-loaded brioche bun. With burgers in general basically dictating our entire diets, ney, lives now, it makes sense that having one for brekkie has become law in this city.
With requests of ‘Wonderwhite Sandwich slices’ and ‘Helga’s Light Rye’ falling on deaf ears in kitchens all over the country, the demand for brekky burgs has never been higher. Fortunately, as good ol’ Melbourne does, our food scene has delivered and we have been #blessed with an abundance of lightly toasted options.
Here are our 11 of the best breakfast burgers in Melbourne.
- Brother Hen’s breakfast burger is a sure-fire one to scoff one morning soon. It’s served with crispy fried egg & istra bacon, caramelised onion, American cheese & bois boudran (plus add a hash brown for 2 bucks!) at Brother Hen in Moonee Ponds.
- Then there’s the scrummy breakfast burger stacked with pork & fennel sausage, fried egg & brown sauce at Footscray’s Rudimentary.
- Speaking of pork, near the top of your burg list should be he twice cooked pork belly on brioche bun with sriracha aioli, pickled cabbage, apple relish & a fried egg at Two Birds One Stone in South Yarra.
- Breakfast up a storm on brioche with avocado, spinach, tomato, bacon, fried egg & an added hashbrown at the Footscray Milking Station.
- For something a little different, try the Coffee Rubbed Wagyu Burger with chilli jam, cheddar & pickled zucchini on a brioche bun (defs splash out for cheese & bacon, as well as some polenta chips) at Industry Beans in Fitzroy.
- Treat your taste buds to the BBQ Breakfast Roll with Newmarket bacon, a fried free range egg & Nana Kath’s BBQ sauce at The Premises in Kensington.
- Treat your gut right and give it the Breakkie Brioche with your choice of roast mushrooms or bacon, a fried egg, cheese, rocket & pebra salad at Three Bags Full.
- It’s an oldie but a goodie (and it has halloumi!)—the Brekkie Roll with thick cut bacon, sunny side egg, haloumi & tomato relish on Phillippa’s brioche at Carlton’s Naughty Boy Cafe.
- Satisfy your sweet side with the Blueberry & Bacon Doughnut Burger, complete with lemon & blueberry levain grilled doughnut, blueberry jam, American streaky bacon & chilli peanut butter cookie crumbs from South Yarra’s Drugstore Espresso.
- Keep it simple with the Egg ‘N’ Bacon Brioche. It comes slammed with grilled cheese, tomato relish, mayo & white slaw at Fourth Chapter in Prahran.
- Take a little trip west to get your hands on The Luncheonette Breakfast Roll with vintage cheddar, sweet chilli chutney, roquette & a fried egg on toasted ciabatta roll at The Luncheonette in Kensington.
- Why not head straight to the professionals? Breakfast rolls are what Egglab does best, so tear into their brioche-y goodness asap.
Keen for something a bit more? Here are all the cafes you should've had breakfast at in Melbourne.
Image credit: Egglab | Jenna Fahey-White