Year upon year, Zoo Twilights rears its pretty little head for summer and every single year we get excited about it. The outdoor event inside Melbourne Zoo has consistently pulled a huge crowd since starting 28 years ago and we’re sure it has everything to do with its close proximity to cute animals and the epic line up of local and international talent.
You can re-live the glory days of banging around to The Living End in your living room as a child (guilty) and also your angsty high school years at the Tegan and Sara gig (guilty and not sorry). The eclectic line up means that there is literally a show for every preference with Warpaint appearing one night and Killing Heidi taking to the stage the very next night. Take a squiz down below to find out the other winners who’ll also be making an appearance.
We recommend that you make a day of it, by taking advantage of the exclusive zoo access from 5.30pm, so you can hang out with some furry friends with your fellow Twilighters, before settling in to the fully licensed amphitheatre with your gourmet picnic hamper (just make sure you pre-order that one). The hamper is a cheese lovers dream, with a local selection of cheeses, salads, sandwiches and dessert pots on the menu. The most difficult decision you’ll make is whether to go for a bottle of the Semillon Sauvignon Blanc, Shiraz Cabernet or Sparkling Brut, all by Seppelt Stony Peak Range Wines. We know – life is tough.
Tickets for Zoo Twilights are on sale now and it’ll definitely sell out (it always does), so you should grab your tickets here and you should grab them ASAP. All of the proceeds will go towards the recovery of the Eastern Barred Bandicoot, which is only one more reason to book.
The Official Line-Up
- Friday 27 January – Jo Jo Zep & The Falcons and The Sports
- Saturday 28 January – Peter Garrett & The Alter Egos and Kev Carmody
- Friday 3 February – Hoodoo Gurus with special guests
- Saturday 4 February – The Rubens supported by Bec Sandridge
- Friday 10 February – Ball Park Music and The Jungle Giants
- Saturday 11 February – Björn Again
- Friday 17 February – Paul Dempsey supported by Melody Pool
- Saturday 18 February – george supported by Felix Riebl (The Cat Empire)
- Friday 24 February – Warpaint (US) supported by Big Thief (US)
- Saturday 25 February – Killing Heidi supported by Abbe May
- Friday 3 March – The Living End ‘Twangin’ At Twilight’ featuring special guests, supported by Gabriella Cohen
- Saturday 4 March – Kurt Vile (US) supported by Mick Turner
- Wednesday 8 March – Tegan And Sara (CAN) with special guests
- Friday 10 March – Martha Wainwright (CAN) supported by Margaret Glaspy (US)
- Saturday 11 March – The Specials (UK) with special guests
To celebrate the return of Zoo Twilights, we’re giving away three double passes to one lucky winner. You should definitely enter if you love Tegan and Sara, Björn Again, george or sunset sessions in general (so all of you, right?).
This competition has now closed.
Zoo Twilights will run all throughout summer at Melbourne Zoo, kicking off on Friday 27 January, so we’ll all still have something to look forward to after Australia Day.
Editors note: This article is sponsored by Zoos Victoria and proudly endorsed by The Urban List. Thank you for supporting the sponsors who make The Urban List possible. Click here for more information on our editorial policy.
Image credit: Ian Laidlaw