We hate to break it to ya, but your waistline won’t let you get away with eating doughnuts, burgers and pies forever. While we’re suckers for all of the above, sometimes there ain’t nothing better than sippin’ on a green smoothie.
A brief scroll through your Insta feed will quickly reveal that #cleaneating is so #ontrend. Define it as you will, but, as far as we can tell, clean eating is basically a trendy way of saying “healthy eating”. To get ya on that bandwagon, we’ve rounded up 15 of Auckland’s best clean/healthy eats.
1. Errything is raw, organic and oh-so Instagramable at Little Bird. We love popping in for a smoothie and a slice of cheesecake—both of which are dairy, gluten and refined-sugar free, of course.
2. When Meat-Free Monday rolls around, grab a super power bowl from Greenleaf Organics. Wash it down with one of their refreshing organic juices and finish off with a cashew and turmeric bliss ball. You can thank us later.
3. If clean eating means counting macros to you, pop into Gainz. Their menu tells you exactly how many calories each dish has and how many grams are protein, carbs and fat. Pop in post workout and feast on a clean and lean four egg white omelette filled with mung bean shoots, red cabbage, carrot, lime and avo.
4. Want to eat healthy but tired of chewing? Head to Wise Cicada for their classic green smoothie—seasonal greens, coconut water, lemon juice, banana, orange, apple and ginger. It’s health in a cup.
5. If you’re in the mood for a healthy burger Food Truck Garage have you covered with their extensive range of burgs. They come served on wholemeal kumara bread or opt for a gluten-free bun instead.
6. Keeping shore kids #clean is Sip Kitchen. Expect to find a cabinet brimming with colourful salads and nutrient-dense slices and cakes. You’ll literally want it all. Good luck with deciding what to devour first.
7. All about them #gainz? Visit Jam Organic Café and get amongst their protein hotcakes made with vanilla whey. Your biceps will pretty much grow right before your eyes.
8. Being a vegetarian is a breeze at Kokako. We’re big fans of their brunch menu starring the likes of buckwheat and spinach gnocchi as well as chia seed bircher served with coconut yoghurt and poached rhubarb.
9. Similarly, vegetarian-centric café Mimosa also has your back. We quite like their vegan coconut French toast served with seasonal compote, flaxseed, coconut nectar and coconut cream. Clean eating, we could get used to you.
10. Burgers can be healthy too, y’know? You can swap your brioche bun for a ‘bunnace’ at Burger Burger. Your burger will come served in crispy cos lettuce leaves. Carbs? What carbs?
11. For a healthy lunch in the CBD, visit the friendly team at Misters. Their lunch bowls showcase tofu, cauliflower rice, sauerkraut and grilled free-range chicken breast.
12. With more clean eats on the menu than dirty eats, pick almost anything at Ripe Deli and you’ll be just fine. We’re all about their wraps—particularly the tuna and quinoa offering with Asian slaw, sprouts and wasabi mayo that packs a spicy punch.
13. The Raw Kitchen like to keep things raw AND delicious. Here you’ll find breakfast cups, salads and wraps, snacks and sweet treats—anyone for raw caramel slice?
14. No one knows smoothies quite like Mondays Eatery. You won’t find any dairy, refined sugar or syrups here. Only fruit, veges, superfoods, coconut and homemade nut milks. Shout out to their banana chocolate fudge offering—mmm!
15. Get more than your daily dose of greens with Raw Power Café’s self serve salad bar. Enjoy with a spirulina juice featuring apple, orange and banana.
Image credit: Little Bird via Facebook