Do you ever get the impression that literally everyone has their grown up stuff together but you? A house, a holiday, even a pretty pooch; why does no one speak about their secret saving behaviour and how do people budget when there’s so much do (read: eat)?
Let’s be real, none of us are going to be able to put a deposit on a house, or save for that trip of a lifetime if we all keep paying hand over fist for the little luxuries in life. So, because we are as addicted to our social lives as you are, we—with the help of Bankwest's nifty budgeting tool and savings calculator (trust us, having someone do the sums for you helps!)—have put a list together of all the awesome things to eat, see and do in Sydney; even if you’re on a super strict budget.
Here are 20 killer things to do in Sydney on the cheap!
- Head to The Morrison for $1 oyster hour every Wednesday.
- Take advantage of two for one Monday nights at the Annandale Hotel.
- Take a cruise (on a ferry) in the harbour. After all you’re in one of the best cities in the world and all you need to do is tap and go.
- Grab some fish and chips at Balmoral Beach and watch the sunset.
- Get in on the 50 cent wings at Black Penny on Mondays.
- Go swimming at Wylie’s Baths. It’ll only cost you $5 to go swimming in one of the city’s most beautiful ocean pools.
- Visit Bondi Markets on a Saturday, grab a bite to eat and listen to live tunes in the park.
- Walk from Bondi to Bronte, or if you're feeling up to it, go the distance and make your way to Coogee. It’s free but the views are worth a million bucks.
- Head to Haverick Meats on a Saturday, stock up on some cheap wholesale meats but, most importantly, take advantage of their FREE Argentinean sausage sizzle.
- Listen to free live music from the Opera Bar, while enjoying a cocktail with a magnificent outlook over the harbour.
- Enjoy a yoga class at Commune Yoga for a donation. You pay what you can afford.
- Hire a bike and take a ride through Centennial Park.
- Head to Kirribilli Markets to pick up a fashion bargain.
- Get arty and visit the Museum Of Contemporary Art.
- If the weather permits, go snorkeling at Shelly Beach or Clovelly.
- Pay as you feel for a meal at Lentil As Anything.
- Hit up happy hour at Bar Chinois with $10 cocktails, $7 wine and $5 beer from 4-6pm Monday to Friday.
- Jump on a train and explore the streets and cheap eats in Cabramatta.
- Head to Sydney Fish Market, pick up some well-priced seafood and take a seat on the outdoor tables by the water. Warning: watch out for the overly confident seagulls.
- Pack a picnic lunch and find yourself a shaded spot in the Royal Botanic Gardens.
Editor's note: This article is sponsored by Bankwest and proudly endorsed by The Urban List. Thank you for supporting the sponsors who make The Urban List possible. Click here for more information on our editorial policy.
Image credit: Federica Portentoso