Located at the Del Rio Riverside Resort in Wiseman’s Ferry, Return To Rio is back from March 18th – 20th after a near-noble offering to the Festivals gods in November. There’s a lot to get through for this one, but let’s start with the most important question: is it a banger?
German DJ Dixon, Resident Advisor’s number one pal for three years running, has cooked up a four-hour set in his signature house style in addition to sets by Mano Le Tough, Sébastien Leger, Murat Kilic and many, many more. We’ll also be first in line to see Hamburg’s Adana Twins, known for their combination sets of hip-hop, soul and tech-house.
If beats that could vibrate the glitter right off your brows weren’t enough, the non-musical acts are sure to titillate. Betty Grumble, self-described sex clown and entertainer, is back by popular demand and accompanied by The Gang of She AKA #girlsquadgoals. This gal is everything of your mash-up dreams and more: obscene beauty queen, surreal showgirl, master of stackable lashes and proof that depending on the look, you don’t always have to blend clown contouring.
Betty will feel right at home too as the Return to Rio playground will be flush with fancy dress, bright colours and sensory overload—Jeffree Star cosmetics sold separately but highly recommended. Punters should also prepare themselves for twisted puppet shows, roving street performers, robotic/pyrotechnic stage design and the occasional mystery. We can’t give away all the secrets but we can assure you that there’ll be wonder, mayhem, merriment and dancing the likes of which your parents should never see.
The Return to Rio madmen have also put together water aerobics, meditation, Pilates, yoga, crazy golf, water skiing and volleyball for those who can’t go a spare moment without sweat. We’ll leave the yogis to their quietude; we know where we’re headed—the giant jumping cushion (and maybe hospital; play safe kids). Random Acts of Kindness are also providing pop-up espresso martini bars for cool kids keen to hit trend and stay awake.
Just over an hour’s drive from Sydney, Del Rio Riverside Resort guarantees queue-free-bars stocked with drinks, cocktails and snacks plus BYO booze in the campgrounds and hot showers to wash away the grime and glitter. If you’re not much of a camper there are other options including air-conditioned cabins and house boats.
Finally, if you’re skint, promoters have organised a Buy Now Pay Later set up where you can chip away at your tickets in seven manageable installments at no extra cost. The offer is strictly limited until February 22nd so get moving… and can you shout a mate?
- Date: 18th -20th March
- Address: Del Rio Riverside Resort, Wisemans Ferry, NSW
- Artists: Dixion, Mano Le Tough, Recondite (Live), Sébastien Leger, Adana Twins, Alan Thomas, Andrew Slattery, Andy Bird Vs Micky Price, B_ _A, Ben Nott, Cassette, Danny La Ru, Diskoid Manuvas, Gabby And Shamus, John Devecchis, Mantra Collective, Marcotix, Mark Craven, Marc Jarvin, Matt Weir, Monkey Tennis, Murat Kilic, Nach, Nick Law, Pedro Villa, Permission to Shine, Robbie Low, Rotary Disco, Sam Roberts, Sampsonite, Shaun Bro, Start:Cue, The Record Store, The Syndicate, Tristan Case, Wanos, Zanerobe DJs
- Final release tickets: $220 plus booking fee via Ticketbooth
- Camping: $60 (total for three nights) and other accommodation options available – call Del Rio Riverside Resort for details
- For more information, head here.
Image credit: Return to Rio