For all you thrifty folk, heading out in Sydney doesn't have to include a heavy price tag—here are 50 fun, tasty and often free things to do in Sydney for less than a $50 note.
1. Soak up the beautiful views while kayaking on Sydney Harbour. A double kayak comes in at just $40 for the hour at Rose Bay Aquatic Hire.
2. Take a step back in time by discovering the grisly relics of Goat Island's convict past.
3. Indulge in an elegant high tea for two at Vaucluse House Tearooms. For $45 per head you'll receive a wonderful selection of sweet and savoury treats, tea and sparkling wine.
4. Take a walk along the spectacular Bondi to Bronte coastline—it's free!
5. Join a Ghost Tour of The Rocks—beware true stories of murder, hangings and hauntings await.
6. Explore the workplace and home of renowned Australian artist Brett Whiteley in Surry Hills.
7. Hire bikes at Centennial Park—just $20 for the hour.
8. Lap up the beautiful views at Andrew (Boy) Charlton Pool, just $6 entry per adult.
9. Enjoy a relaxing, budget-friendly afternoon in the sun at Concord Bowling Club. Barefoot bowls cost $10 per head with bowling green access for 4 hours!
10. Surf lovers head out to the Royal National Park's Garie Beach, famed for its isolation and swells. Vehicle entry to the park is just $11.
11. Campbelltown's Dumaresq Street Cinemas offers $6 adult tickets—all day, every day!
12. Take a dance class at the Sydney Dance Company's Walsh Bay studios. There are 60 casual dance classes offered per week and come in at just $20 per visit.
13. Voted Sydney's #1 fish and chip shop, snap up a box of Fishmonger's deep-fried goodness and enjoy your meal seaside.
14. Kick off for $5 afternoon drinks at one of Sydney's best bars, Pailings Kitchen & Bar—Monday to Friday 5pm-7pm.
15. Release your inner child and get an unlimited rides pass at Luna Park—$49.95 for the day!
16. Check out what's on at Chippendale's White Rabbit Gallery, it's free.
17. Slap on your sneaks and head out along the Manly to Spit Bridge scenic walk.
18. Refresh your workout routine and head to Barefoot Yoga, Sydney's first donation-based yoga studio.
19. From clay to cryptic crosswords, head to Laneway Learning at Cowbell 808 for fun, cheap classes in anything and everything—just $12 per class.
20. Test your balance at Stand Up Paddle Boarding with the Manly Kayak Centre. A $20 note will get you one hour of paddle boarding fun, or $35 for two.
21. Pack a picnic and head to the Royal Botanic Gardens.
22. Take a trek along the coastal route from Barrenjoey Headland at Palm Beach to Narrabeen Lakes on Sydney's Northern Beaches—breathtaking!
23. Coffee enthusiasts, head to Mecca Espresso's weekly free coffee tastings at their Ultimo and Circular Quay stores.
24. Head down memory lane at Rozelle Markets, where you'll find everything from bric-a-brac, to vintage clothing and furniture. Every Saturday and Sunday 9am-4pm.
25. One for you thrifty foodies—enjoy 50c wings every Wednesday night at Beach Road Hotel. Head upstairs for some free live tunes.
26. Get fit at Climb Fit, Sydney's largest indoor climbing and gymnasium facility—$26 entry includes shoes and harness.
27. Sydney Olympic Park offers over 35kms of cycleways and rolling green parklands. Bring your own wheels or hire them in the park.
28. Start your Saturday with scrumptious chai and some of Sydney's best corn fritters at Bondi Farmers' Markets.
29. Enjoy free summer movies in the courtyard at The Beresford Hotel—every Monday from 7:30pm.
30. Check out what's on at the Australian Centre For Photography in Paddington.
31. $4 bánh mì—yes please! Get your fix at Marrickville Pork Roll.
(Address : 236A Illawarra Road, Sydney NSW 2204; Phone: 0420 966 368)
32. Grab breakfast at The Boathouse Palm Beach—spectacular views and mouthwatering fare.
33. One for the girls—lunch the afternoon away at The Winery's Girls Picnic every Saturday and Sunday. Just $45 a head, lunch includes a delectable mix of culinary treats.
34. Take a Vietnamese food safari to Cabramatta. Head here for our top picks.
35. Catch the best of independent and world cinema at the Chauvel Cinema in Paddington. Adult tickets $18.50.
36. Hunt out the best charcoal chicken in Sydney. Visit El Jannah at their Granville, Punchbowl or Blacktown locations.
37. Take a dip at the newly launched Prince Alfred Park Pool—adults $5.70.
38. Get your skates on at Sydney's last indoor roller rink. Penrith Skatel offers Saturday and Sunday morning sessions for a mere $8 a head.
39. Roll into the weekend with the Friday night Disco Party On Ice at Macquarie Ice Rink. Fridays & Saturdays 7pm-9pm.
40. Spend $20 per head at Mizuya Japanese restaurant on George Street, and receive two hours of free karaoke—yes!
41. Discover the wondrous history of Rose Seidler House. Open Sundays 11am-4pm; $8 entry.
42. Snap up a delicious seafood lunch at the Sydney Fish Markets.
43. Hang out in the trees at TreeTop Adventure Park—adults $45.
44. Catch a live gig at Oxford Art Factory. Upcoming artists include Youth Lagoon and Mikhael Paskalev.
45. Grab a group of friends and head to Aqua Golf at Panthers—just $7 per bucket.
46. A fan of dim sum? Ho's Dim Sim Kitchen is sure to curb your yum cha cravings. Their BBQ pork buns are a knockout!
47. Taste the culinary delights of regional NSW at Parramatta Farmers' Market—every Friday 7:30am-2pm.
48. Hop aboard the Crime & Passion tour of Kings Cross, where you'll be taken behind the scenes of Australia's most notorious neighbourhood.
49. Enjoy refreshing summer cocktails at one of the best bars in Sydney, Cockatoo Island bar.
50. Indulge in a delicious Turkish banquet—$40 per person at Erciyes Restaurant Cleveland Street.
Image credits: 30 and Broke, ca-Libre, Art Gallery NSW, Farm6, Fish Mongers, Rasa Malaysia, jour de pluie, Riches for Rags
Hungry for more of Sydney's best?
Subscribe to our email newsletters!