For all the dog owners out there we know how frustrating it can be not to be able to bring your dog anywhere and everywhere. They already walk into the bathroom while we shower, sleep in our beds, and stare longingly at us (or rather, our food) while we eat.
So is it really so bad that we want to bring them to work, to the gym, to the beach, and even to the bar? Okay some of them are a bit more of a stretch than others, but we’ve sniffed out the best things you can do with your furry companion in Auckland so you have all of the options.
1. Go on a cafe date at Winona Forever, stuff yourselves silly, and then walk it off at Auckland Domain.
2. Chase the sunrise along the beachside path at Mission Bay.
3. Mingle with fellow dog-loving brunch enthusiasts at Crave Café, then head over to Western Springs so your pup can gaze at the geese.
4. Go on a wine date with a friend and your dogs at Beau Wine Bar. Watch your doggos somehow get cuter as the wine gets sipped.
5. Start up an account and become #instafamous—your dog was made for the camera.
6. Take a big doggy day out to Waiheke island. Stroll the lush sands of Oneroa Beach, then wine and dine at The Heke—a dog-friendly restaurant, whiskey distillery, and brewery
7. Go bike riding with your dog running loyally by your side (or put it in your basket).
8. Sip on some dog-inspired cocktails, with pawesome company at the Paw Bar & Eatery. Trust us, your pooch will love it.
9. Take your doggo to make some furry friends at the dog haven that's Takapuna Beach Cafe.
10. Make Sunday sessions complete at Hopper's Garden Bar, a doggy-friendly restaurant
11. Roll around the ample grass at Monte Cecilia Park.
12. Or let Fido loose at Meola Reef Park after grabbing a bite from Rosanna's Garden Bar.
13. Park your pooch at Wynyard Quarter (he’ll probably gain a fan club by the time you return).
14. Stretch your legs (and your dog’s) at Auckland Botanical Gardens.
15. And then order a coffee at Cornwall Park Cafe, while relaxing on the bean bags outside.
16. Teach your doggie some neat tricks at Corban Reserve—don't forget the treats!
17. Get involved with the canine-loving community for a Dog and Grog meet at Pocket Bar & Kitchen.
18. Visit a hospital or nursing home to cheer up patients (just make sure you get permission first, mmkay?)
19. Grab yourself a coffee from Takapuna's beachfront and let your fluffy adventurer roam free at Takapuna beach.
20. Or let your excitable pooch get sandy while taking a leisurely stroll on Saint Leonards Beach.
21. Enjoy some sunshine and rosé over on Waiheke while your fluffy companion dozes at your feet.
22. Dress up your dog sassy and fabulous with the cutest costumes ever.
23. Practice your downward dog pose (see what we did there) and take up yoga in the park.
24. Take your pooch on a camping getaway to Clark's Beach Holiday Park. Dog treats around the fire, anyone?
25. Stand-up paddle boarding—they can snooze on the board or paddle along with you (there’s no ‘I’ in ‘team’ after all).
26. If balance isn’t your thing (we can’t all be yogi masters), try kayaking with pup in tow instead.
27. Mingle with the other doggies and their owners at Catroux cafe in Westmere.
28. Then take a five minute stroll down to Cox's Bay dog park.
29. Glamping. There’s no reason why your dog can’t enjoy a luxe retreat with their favourite human.
30. Enjoy million dollar views at Paritai Drive.
31. When it rains, it pours, and we’d prefer to stay indoors. Snuggle up on the sofa and binge a TV show (your furry friend will provide that extra warmth). We rounded up some of Neon's best for you to get going.
32. Play fetch-the-halls to give your dog an indoor run (rain can’t stop us).
33. Then again, splashing about in the rain is could be fun... little rain can't hurt, right?
34. Keen to catch some views? Head on up to Mt Eden Dog Park, situated halfway up the mountain!
35. Pup needing a bit of a wash after all of this fun? Pop on into Animates for a D.I.Y dog wash.
36. Take your dog for a pawfect picnic at Macleans Park in Mellons Bay.
37. Go celeb spotting; we’re dying to see legend Boston Terrier (@macbostonterrier).
38. Dust off the Sunday hangover with sensational views and a morning walk along Ōrewa Beach.
39. Take your dog to an outdoor cinema.
40. Learn to skateboard—your dog will probably be a pro before you will.
41. Take a pawfect selfie on Mt Victoria.
42. Create an agility course in the comfort of your own backyard. You’ll totally win gold if you enter a Dog Show.
43. Heat up the BBQ at Long Bay with every man and his dog (literally) and good luck resisting those puppy eyes as you bite into your burger.
44. Throw a ball at Waikowhai Park in Hillsborough.
45. Feeling sporty? Have a running race with your doggo at Churchill Park.
46. Teach your dog a new trick—isn’t it about time you share the housework?
47. Throw your fave fluffy friend a birthday bash with all your dog’s closest pals.
48. No party is complete without sweets, so bake a doggy-friendly cake.
49. Head down to Victoria Park for a walk and a shop.
50. Enjoy a quiet afternoon out at the Dear Jervois. Your pup can be parked safely at the front door with a water bowl while you tuck in.
Go for a longer adventure with the best pet-friendly accommodation in New Zealand.
Image credit: Supplied.