Day before pay day, on a perpetual budget or just a little bit, er, stingy? We feel you! We’ve rounded up Auckland’s 50 best cheap eats that will leave you full, satisfied and with money in the piggy bank. You’re welcome.
1. Treat yourself to a large serve of finger-lickin’ poutine from The Fed for $12. Good luck getting through it all.
2. You can’t go wrong with a $6 PBJ bagel from Best Ugly Bagels. It’s smothered with Pics peanut butter (the best) and Te Horo raspberry jam.
3. The chicken curry laksa from Sri Pinang is not to be missed. Visit over lunchtime and pay only $11—you’ll have money to spare for a roti.
4. We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again: Better Burger serve up some of the best burgers in Auckland town. They’re cheap, too—a cheeseburger will set you back a mere $5.50.
5. Frequented by team at The Urban List, Barilla Dumplings serve up lip-smacking dumplings for cheap prices.
6. The butter chicken from Paradise Indian Food is one of the best BC in Auckland. The fact it costs less than $15 is just a bonus.
7. Crêpes A Go Go have a whoooole lot of mouth-watering crêpe delights in both sweet and savoury. Keep things French with their croque monsieur number featuring ham, cheddar, and béchamel sauce.
8. The $14 chicken curry at The Chancery’s Mamak Malaysian is absolutely divine. Pay extra for two homemade rotis—you won’t regret it!
9. The panang curry (and the massaman curry, for that matter) from Wok’n Noodle is a good time.
10. We love a good gua bao and Chinoiserie serve up some of the best in Auckland. We can’t go past the pork belly offering for $8.
11. At Bangkok in Kingsland know a thing or two about a good (and cheap) pad Thai.
12. You can pick up a decent rice donburi from Renkon for a measly $12. We’re a fan of the classic teriyaki chicken.
13. The masala dosa from Satya is not to be missed. The coconut chutney it comes with is, quite simply, off the hook.
14. The pork belly steamed buns at The Blue Breeze Inn have a cult following. They’re just 10 buckaroos.
15. Noodle zealots can’t get enough of Eden Noodle’s offerings. Dishes start at around $10. Beware of lines.
16. The curry puffs from 7 Siri are easy on the wallet and delicious on the lips. You can get three of these bad boys for just $5.
17. We love Gina’s prosciutto e funghi (translation: ham and mushroom) pizza. It’s only 12 bux over lunchtime.
18. The friendly folk at Big J’s will sort you out with a mouth-watering cheeseburger for just $6.50. You’ll have dollars leftover for a side of kumara wedges.
19. Grab a slice of pizza from Il Buco for just $6. Heck, you’ll have enough for two slices. We suggest you try the caramelised onion, asparagus, mozzarella and brie combo.
20. Burger Queen have not one, not two, but 35 (yes, 35!) burgers priced under $10.
21. Whether you prefer your pancake sweet or savoury, No. 1 Pancake will give you change from a fiver.
22. You might have to wait to get a table, but it will be worth it when you get your mits on KK Malaysian Cuisine’s chicken laksa.
23. If you stumble upon Kraken Crumpets’ food truck, run—don’t walk. Their banana salted caramel crumpet is to die for (and just $9).
24. Freeman & Grey serve $4 pizzas across lunchtime and dinnertime every day. You’ll have moolah leftover to shout a mate (or two).
25. We rate New Flavour Restaurant’s dumplings. Here you’ll find some of the best (and cheapest) in town.
26. Al’s Deli is the master of the bagel. You can grab a bagel with spreads here for just $4.
27. There’s no need to break into the piggy bank to buy a vege burger from The Flaming Onion. Stacked with house-made falafel, yoghurt, hummus and sweet chili sauce, the burg is just $10.
28. We luurve Big Fish Eatery’s jalapeno sushi featuring salmon, spring onion, shichimi, avo and cucumber. Six pieces are just $11.
29. Get your Friday night fish and chip fix from Mt Eden Village Fish Shop. You’ll have money to spare for crumbed scallops.
30. The grilled eggplant babaganoosh from Petra Shawarma is particularly delicious… and cheap!
31. This list wouldn’t be complete without mention of Ramen Takara. Their much-loved bowls of ramen are around the $15 price-point.
32. The banh mi pulled chicken sandwich from Bird on a Wire is crazy delicious. The not-so-secret ingredient? Chicken liver pâté. Mm-mmm!
33. Coreano’s kimchi fries are both epically delicious and epically affordable.
34. At K Road’s Mukunda's restaurant you can get a combo meal that includes a dhal soup, veggie curry, rice, pakora and a halava dessert for just $8.50—bargain!
35. Mexico’s quesadillas will leave you with a full tummy. The fillings change seasonally, giving you a legitimate excuse to visit at least four times a year (but most likely more).
36. Slurp your way through a bowl of spicy kimchi stew from Biwon Korean Barbecue. You’ll come in on budget with the dish costing exactly $15.
37. There’s no need to break the piggy bank to afford a po boy from Miss Clawdy. They’re priced around the $12 mark and are all sorts of delicious.
38. Madam Woo’s signature hawker rolls are just $14. The deep-fired roti is delightfully crispy—yom!
39. Go no dough but in need of (sour)dough? Greedy Guts’ smashed avocado number is just $12.
40. Nip into Ken Yakitori and nab a generous serve of karaage chicken for $15.
41. Nip into Tiger Burger for Korean-esque burgers. They do a bad ass kimcheese burger for a measly $14.
42. Clean eating doesn’t have to be expensive. Mix and match delish salads at Revive Café.
43. Then treat yourself a doughnut and a cuppa at Olly #balance.
44. Chow down two tacos at Mexicali Fresh. There’s everything from beef barbacoa and char-grilled chicken to fajita vege and pulled pork—yum!
45. Hello Mister! And hello to savings! Their tasty pho is priced from $8, while a baby banh mi will set you back $6.
46. Bagel burgers sound like a beautiful pairing—and they taste just as great! Grab this messy but tasty bite at Goodness Gracious.
47. Get your daily vege quota at The Raw Kitchen with a selection of smoothie bowls for less than $15.
48. Kai Eatery is fried chicken game changer. Their XL fried chicken with a combo of fries is sure to hit the spot.
49. Love waffles? Topped with golden syrup, berry compote and pistachio, The Shelf has you covered for a delicious serving.
50. Instaworthy &Sushi do a beautiful bulgogi beef donburi for $15. Don’t forget: gram or it didn’t happen.