Come on, we’ve all been there. Whether it’s a hectic week, a to-do list longer than your arm, or even just a really strong yen for a day off, chucking a sickie is a deft manoeuvre designed to winkle out an opportunity to do all the stuff you find yourself daydreaming about.
This time of year is always tempting because with all the public holidays coming up, a well-timed sickie could land you with a four-day weekend. We get it, we understand, and that’s why we’ve put together this discreet little wrap of what to do when you cash in some sick leave. We’re predicting Brisbane is about to become home to a record number of Ferris Buellers...
- Treat yourself to a premium slice at Julius Pizzeria and don’t even worry about the queue.
- Take your time sampling everything in Gelato Messina so you can make a fully informed decision.
- Go for a picnic in New Farm Park and take your pick of the shady spots.
- Don’t risk running into anyone from work, get out of town on a beach trip.
- …or go completely out of range and scale a mountain peak.
- Load up on bread and pastries at Crust & Co after the pre-work rush but right in time for brunch.
- Check out the latest exhibitions at QAGOMA without the teeming hordes.
- Catch a matinee at Palace Cinemas and sit wherever you damn well please.
- Pick up a home-improvement haul at Bunnings and finally build that sandpit.
- Settle in at Day Made and work your way through their all-day menu.
- Gorge on the quality Vietnamese at Hello Please.
- Duck up to Noosa and get an advance tasting of Betty’s Burgers before they open in Newstead.
- Treat yourself to a mind-expanding float tank experience at Float Brisbane.
- Pimp your make-up drawer with a spree at the new Sephora store at Westfield Chermside.
- Have a frolic and a rock-hop at Cedar Creek.
- Hunker down in Avid Reader with some free wi-fi and finally start that novel.
- Go for a walk on one of Brisbane's foxiest tracks and take your queue of podcasts with you.
- Get around the sparkling new breakfast menu at Paddington's Naïm.
- Embark on burger safari at Super Combo and Neil Perry's Burger Project and see how they stack up against last year's champions.
Image credit: Nerd Reactor