This coming Labour Day weekend in Brisbane commemorates the labour union movement and that 9 to 5 we’ve grown so fond of. Helping us celebrate the triumph of the Melbourne stonemasons’ march on Parliament, these restaurants, bars and cafes around Brisbane are nobly staying open this long Labour Day Weekend so we don’t have to.
And unlike our American cousins, Australian Labour Day comes without the entrenched elitism prohibiting the end of wearing white, so in the coming weeks feel free to wear as many linen suits as you damn well please.
Here’s what's open this Labour Day long weekend in Brisbane.
- Settle in for a chilled sesh at Isles Lane.
- Revel in an extra day off work with drinks and dinner at Stokehouse Q.
- Get stuck in to the classic BLT bagel at NYC Bagel Deli.
- Meet some puppers with your morning cuppa at Atticus Finch (serving until noon).
- Salt Meats Cheese will be kicking open the doors for dinner from 5pm to ward off those Tuesday blues.
- Salt Coffee Roasters will be open from 5:30am for all your caffeinated needs.
- The ever fabulous Vvaldmeer will be serving up brekky and lunch.
- Round out the weekend with some of Remy’s brews and burgers.
- Smash out a bagel brunch and a caramel slice at Scout Café.
- Hit up Plum Tucker for some breakfast, coffees and general frivolity until 2pm.
- Have Darling & Co manage all your needs from dawn til dusk.
- Head on over to The Farm House for a gambol across their cake counter and a juice fix.
- Get hooked on poké bowl madness at Cheeky Poke Bar.
- Get down to Little Big House for a cheeky lazy session this Labour Day.
- Swing by Penny Coffee Co in Dutton Park for their eggs penny (cute, no?).
- A burger and thick shake from Betty’s Burgers is a public holiday right of passage, no?
- Dig into perfect ramen at Taro’s.
- Mosey past Lewin Street Store for some quality chat and even better coffee.
- Dig into some gastropub-grub at Dalgety Public House.
- Hai Hai Ramen are open from 5pm so drop by for a bowl of chill-fighting noodle soup.
- Middle Eastern brunch haven, Naïm, is serving up hummus and shakshuka until 1pm.
- Satisfy those carb cravings at OTTO, open all Labour Day weekend long.
- Get your fix of chicken skewers and plum wine at Bird’s Nest Yakitori.
- Treat yo self with a double scoop courtesy of the dessert gods at Gelato Messina.
- Tuck into heart-warming souvla and woodfired pita at Stavros The Greek.
- Wind down from the three-day rumpus with an old-fashioned from the kids at Cobbler.
- Hi up I Heart Brownies in Bowen Hills and all their lip-smackingly good chocolatey things.
- Charge your morning batteries with brekky and a caffeinated bevvy at Little Red Providore.
- Charge your batteries with some of the supreme java at Lola Coffee, grinding until midday.
- Plant your face into a tub of the iciest, creamiest gelato this side of Bologna at La Macelleria.
- Settle in for a daytime session in the afternoon sun at Felons Brewing Co.
Need to walk off your Labour Day long weekend feed? Check out these secret walks and hikes around Brisbane.
Bird's Nest Yakitori | Image credit: Hayley Williamson for Urban List