This coming Labour Day weekend in Brisbane commemorates the labour union movement and that 9 to 5 we’ve grown so fond of. Helping us celebrate the triumph of the Melbourne stonemasons’ march on Parliament, these restaurants, bars and cafes around Brisbane are nobly staying open this long Labour Day Weekend so we don’t have to.
And unlike our American cousins, Australian Labour Day comes without the entrenched elitism prohibiting the end of wearing white, so in the coming weeks feel free to wear as many linen suits as you damn well please.
Here’s what's open this Labour Day long weekend in Brisbane:
- Get around all your favourite Chinese dishes at Sichuan Bang Bang.
- …And chase it up with a slice at Pizzeria Violetta next door.
- Meet some puppers with your morning cuppa at Atticus Finch (serving until noon).
- Round out the weekend with some of Remy’s brews and burgers.
- Smash out a bagel brunch and a caramel slice at Scout Café.
- Hit up Plum Tucker for some breakfast, coffees and general frivolity until 2pm.
- Have Darling & Co manage all your needs from dawn til dusk.
- Head on over to Pearl Café for a gambol across their cake counter.
- Get hooked on poké bowl madness at Suki.
- Plant yourself in the Southbank Beer Garden and let the tipples gently usher you out of the public holiday haze.
- Swing by Rabbit Hole Café in Seven Hills and build your own breakfast.
- Mosey past Lewin Street Store for some quality chat and even better coffee.
- Dig into some gastropub-grub at Dalgety Public House.
- Hai Hai Ramen are open from 5pm so drop by for a bowl of chill-fighting noodle soup.
- Middle Eastern brunch haven, Naïm, is serving up hummus and shakshuka until 1pm.
- Get your fix of chicken skewers and plum wine at Bird’s Nest Yakitori.
- Treat yo self with a double scoop courtesy of the dessert gods at Gelato Messina.
- Fire up your engine with one of Curryville’s freshly made lamb sagwalas.
- Tuck into heart-warming souvla and pita at Zeus Street Greek.
- Wind down from the three-day rumpus with an old-fashioned from the kids at Cobbler.
- If you’re a fan of honey puffs and snacks from the land of democracy, look no further than the Yiros Shop and the joy therein.
- Check out the newly-opened Indooroopilly branch of Lord of the Wings and all their lip-singeing wing things.
- Charge your batteries with some of the supreme java at Lola Coffee, grinding until midday.
- Plant your face into a tub of the iciest, creamiest gelato this side of Bologna at La Macelleria.
- Tuck in to the most tender calamari this side of the Mediterranean at Downtown Istanbul.
Need to walk off your Labour Day long weekend feed? Check out these secret walks and hikes around Brisbane.
Bird's Nest Yakitori | Image credit: Hayley Williamson