A public holiday for a horse race. It makes sense if you concentrate real hard. We’re not complaining anyway: any long weekend is okay by us, even if it has a weird day in the middle where (let’s face it) you’ll probably be struck down by a mystery 24-hour illness and be unable to work anyway.
But what to do on the day itself? Here’s everything open and happening around Melbourne. Go forth and be free, guys.
These guys are hosting a last-man-standing Mario Kart 64 tournament on Cup Eve (first prize is a slab of beer), PLUS Funky Bunch Trivia on Cup Day itself. Free to play and cheap pints all day. Open 11am till late. More info over here.
Belleville are open from 11am till 1am on Cup Day, serving their usual roast chicken goodness (pro tip: order the poutine). On Cup Eve they’re also hosting a FREE hip hop gig featuring award-winning NZ artists SWIDT. Nice one. Info over here.
Not to be outdone, Ferdydurke are throwing they’re own hip hop bangers on Cup Eve, with DJ Baba Noir playing in the loft till 1am. They’re open 4pm till 1am on Cup Day, slinging charcuterie & vino specials, plus a selection of 00s hits. Get the info here.
It’s tunes, tunes and more tunes at Section 8. On Monday they’re hosting a Funday party with Mrs Wallace, Shumba and Moonchild. On Cup Day it’s Condensed Milk DJs Amin Payne and Ty playing till late. Open from midday until 11pm. Info over here.
Garden State Hotel
A picnic at Garden State Hotel? That’s so crazy it might just work...Our favourite inner city watering hole are throwing a Giddyup Melbourne party. $60 gets you a food hamper, picnic rug and a personal esky full of Balter frothies and Chandon Brut. Check it out here.
The Deck At Circa
Looking for somewhere to kick-on? The Deck At Circa are throwing a Winners Circle After Party: think Moët & Chandon ice bars plus Sample beers and tucker from the Circa kitchen. Starts at 5pm and runs till late. Head here for the info.
South Melbourne's favourite coffee house is open nice and early, from 7am till 6pm. They're also rocking a special: Green Moon Toast (inspired by 2012 Cup winner, Green Moon). Think Braised mixed greens and chlorophyll on milk toast with smoked raclette and crispy garlic. Only $18. Score.
Love love love Lona. The nicest staff you'll find anywhere, and they're running brunch now! Happy times. Lona are offering a special $35 Cup Day Brunch will run from 9am-11am: fruit, brunch, wine and beer. It's pretty much the ultimate start to the day. Swing by from 11:30am for a tapas fiesta and the big race screaned live on some HD TVs.
Bars, Pubs & Restaurants
Need a Cup Day feed? These guys are slinging food and booze on the big day:
- Fat Penguin (Kew East): open 7am to 2:30pm.
- Le Clec (Hawthorn): open 7:30am to 2pm.
- Secret Kitchen (Chinatown): open normal trading hours, lunch and dinner.
- The Black Toro (Glen Waverley): open for dinner from 5:30pm.
- The Grain Emporium (Clayton): open 11am till late.
- The Grand (Richmond): open 12pm till late.
- The Penny Drop (Box Hill): open 8am to 4pm.
- Third Chapter (Eltham): open 7am till late.
- Zaatar (Coburg): open 7am till 8pm.
- AU79 (Abbotsfrod): open 8am to 4pm.
- Liar Liar (Hawthorn): 8am to 4pm.
- Prospect Espresso (Camberwell): open 8am till 4pm.
- St Edmunds (Prahran): open 8am to 4pm.
- Sir Charles (Fitzroy): open 8am to 4pm.
- Atta (Albert Park): open 5pm till 10pm.
- Gontran Cherrier (Hawthorn & Collingwood): open 8am till 2pm.
- Resto BoBo (Prahran): open 5pm till late.
You’ll be stoked to know that Coles, Woolies and Aldi are all operating as normal. Booze included.
Couldn’t give a stuff about horses? Try labels instead. Here are the Cup Day opening hours for Melbourne’s major shopping centres.
- Emporium: Open 10am-6pm
- Chadstone: Open 10am-6pm
- Highpoint: Open 10am-5pm
- Northland: Open 10am-5pm
- Westfield Doncaster: Open 10am-5pm
- The Glen: Open 9am-5:30pm
- Myer CBD: Open 8am-7pm
- David Jones CBD: Open 10am-7pm
- Melbourne Central: Open 10am-6pm
Check it out: Brunswick's cult cinema and bar is back again this month.
Image credit: Belleville