The wonderful thing about breakfast is that you can pretty much eat it any time of the day (or night) and it’s socially acceptable. Pancakes for dinner? Hell yeah! Cereal for a midnight snack? No judgey eyes here.
Sometimes we don’t quite wake up in time for traditional breakfast hours. But what’s fun about so-called traditional hours anyway? Here’s some of the best all-day breakfasts in Auckland—available even when it’s waaay past lunchtime.
1. If your breakfast go-to is eggs benedict, Geeks On Sainsbury serve up some of the best in town—for breakfast OR lunch. You’ll find three offerings here including Pokeno bacon (our fave), Aoraki smoked salmon and pan-fried tofu. Their waffles are also exceptionally good.
2. Head to Queenies for some of the city’s finest baked eggs with kale, aged cheddar, red potatoes and tomatoes. For a walk down memory lane, order the boiled eggs with mitey soliders—available with either Marmite or Vegemite.
3. Inject some sugar into your veins with Foxtrot Parlour’s peanut pancake. It comes topped with vanilla bean ice cream, caramel popcorn and candy floss. Need more sugar? Go for their hands-on ‘inject your own’ doughnuts.
4. For those sleepy heads on the North Shore, Honey Café has got your back. Their breakfast menu extends over lunchtime and includes the likes of brioche French toast and damn good baked eggs with beans.
5. Enjoy a mornin’ (or afternoon) walk along Takapuna Beach before nipping into Zomer for their all-day brunch. Their Dutch pancakes with rhubarb, berries and banana is a crowd-favourite—and for good reason too!
6. Trouble deciding between scrambled eggs and mushrooms on toast? Order a dish featuring BOTH at Dizengoff. A special shout out must be made to the accompanying homemade pesto.
7. From Wednesday through to Sunday, you’ll discover a deeelish brunch menu at Orphans Kitchen. We’re all about their black rice and creamy porridge but you can’t leave without trying their signature super fluffy crumpet. It will change your life.
8. If you’re a vegetarian (or vegan) kiddo, Takapuna’s Café Mimosa has your name written all over it. Their all-day menu has everything from dark chocolate and cherry porridge to vegan-friendly creamy mushrooms made with cashew cream.
9. We couldn’t compile this list without name-dropping Dear Jervois. While their famous matcha waffles are always a good time, their omelette is one of the best in Auckland. Choose between bacon with smoked mozzarella and mustard or salmon with caper salsa.
10. Venture further afield to Matakana to enjoy a spot of market shopping followed by a long breakfast/lunch at Matakana Market Kitchen. Their vegetarian big breakfast is a fave of ours: crispy coated eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, grilled halloumi, rocket and avo with toast. P.S. You can order a wine with your meal.
11. Little & Friday not only do bad ass doughnuts, but they also have a sweet brunching menu. Think smashed avo, toasted muesli and potato rosti with all the trimmings. Grab a doughnut on your way out the door—it’d be rude not to.
12. There’s no doubt about it: Catroux makes Auckland a better place. Their take on mince on toast is through the roof. Hellooo braised beef, thick béchamel, taleggio cheese (yes, that’s cheese on cheese), poached egg and chilli salt.
13. Should you find yourself out west, pop into Little Sister Café to get amongst all the deliciousness. We’ve got a soft spot for their baked beans in smokey spiced tomato ragu. Kids (and adults) will luuurve their candy floss-topped ricotta hotcakes.
14. Stroll along Tamaki Drive and then head to Cafe on Kohi to refuel. We suggest you go for their patatas bravas with haloumi, capers and poached eggs. For something a lil different, their beetroot granola with Greek yoghurt is a winner.
15. Charlie & George’s rockin’ breakfast menu continues over lunch and features ALL the goodies: quinoa granola, bagels, waffles and a breakfast buttie. Kids are well catered for here with the menu having a range of dishes that can be served as a kid-friendly size.
All about them breakfasts? Check out Auckland's Best Blowout Breakfasts—they're insane!
Image credit: Swipelife