In case you missed it, we’ve already turned the Colonel’s sacred fried chicken—aka KFC—on its head with inspo from Bun Leng of Satay Noodle House and Jason Kim of Gochu. The next foodie legend on the agenda? It’s none other than Sammy Akuthota; the man behind cocktail-hour fave, Satya Chai Lounge.
If you’ve ever set foot in Auckland, you’ve likely stepped into one of Satya’s iconic venues. Sammy’s parents opened the original South Indian restaurants around the city, while his take on the brand—the Chai Lounge—calls Sandringham and Karangahape Road home.
Booze and bites are what the Chai Lounge is known for, enjoyed in the down-to-earth spaces Sammy has so lovingly created. When you sit down at Satya, you get a sense of comfort and community—a theme that also comes through in the food. Here, Sammy is pairing his many culinary talents with his love of Kfry to two epic eats you need to add to your at-home menu.
Ready to add a little bit of spice to your next KFC feed? Here’s Sammy’s spin on our fave fried chicken.
KFC Zinger Fillet Kati Roll With Pickled Onion Salad
Makes one Kati roll
2 KFC Zinger Fillets
1 KFC Supercharger Sauce
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
Juice of 1 lime
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp garam masala
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 Paratha (homemade or store-bought)
½ cup coriander, chopped
½ cup mint, chopped
- Kick things off with the pickled onion salad. Wash your thinly sliced red onion, and make sure to remove all the excess water.
- Mix in the juice of one lime with the onion, season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside for five minutes.
- Mix together curry powder and mayonnaise.
- Next, to create the slaw—chop up red cabbage, onion, and coriander. Add mayonnaise with a dash each of chilli powder and garam masala before mixing.
- Heat up your Paratha in the microwave or on the stove-top. Spread generously with the curry mayonnaise.
- Let’s get to toppings. Add slaw, sliced KFC Zinger Fillets and dollops of KFC Supercharger Sauce.
- Garnish with chopped coriander, mint and the pickled onion salad.
KFC Secret Recipe Chicken Kachumber Salad
2 KFC Secret Recipe Chicken Drumsticks
1 large red onion
1 medium, good quality tomato
1 medium cucumber
¼ cup mint
1 tsp roasted cumin powder
Juice of ½ a lemon
1 tsp chilli power
3 sprigs of coriander
- First, get your chop on. Finely dice the red onion and tomato, making sure to remove any excess liquid.
- Cut your cucumber into small cubes and finely chop the mint.
- Mix the red onion, tomato, cucumber, mint, cumin, and lemon juice together. Add pepper, salt and chilli to taste.
- Top your salad with shredded Secret Recipe Chicken Drumsticks and garnish with coriander. Chef’s kiss.
Turn up the dial on your takeaway night with these next-level versions of our fave KFC meals. For fried chicken, the way it’s meant to be (hand-breaded, prepared fresh on the daily), order up a delivery from your local KFC, and try these recipes out for yourself.
Image credit: Wono Kim