Whether you’re planning a cheeky weekend getaway or a day trip with Aunty Narelle, the Sunshine Coast Hinterland is always a winner. But if you think you know everything there is to know about the Hinterland, think again! We’ve put together the definitive list of things you can’t miss next time you head up The Hunchy.
- Grab your fishing line, floppy hat, and a few cold beers, and catch yo’self some dinner at Baroon Pocket Dam (BYO canoe!)
- Check out some serious artisan handiwork at David Linton Furniture and Timber Works. Then dream about where you would fit that stunning, 2.5 metre, sustainably sourced, local timber dining table in your one-bedroom flat.
- We can’t resist the sweet, creamy goodies from Fudgyboombahs. Stick with an old-school classic like butterscotch vanilla fudge, or get a bit adventurous with redskin fudge or salted Dutch licorice.
- Borrow your boss’ convertible, pop on a sexy headscarf and some cat’s eye sunnies and channel Sophia Loren as you cruise the Blackall Range Tourist Drive.
- Put some steps on your FitBit, stretch your legs, and shake off those 9 to 5, desk job blues on an epic bushwalk.
- If you’re feeling really ambitious, book a few days off, pack your tent and set off on the Sunshine Coast Great Walk.
- Get in touch with your inner artist with a half-day pottery workshop at Fried Mudd.
- Order a sexy tiered cheese tower for your wedding or special event from the fromagerie at Maleny Food Co. If you don’t have an excuse to buy ten kilos of cheese (goddammit, MAKE an excuse!) then try their award-winning gelato. Some of our fave flavours include blood orange, apple pie, whisky and prune, and Cointreau and chocolate.
- Treat yo’self with some seriously luxe pampering at Spa Anise. It's luxury, it's heaven. Trust us, JUST GO!
- Go back to where it all began—Brouhaha was one of the first micro brewpubs on the Sunshine Coast to really kick off the trend that seems to be everywhere today. Stop in for a great mid-strength or an IPA, then work your way up to some bolder brews—Strawberry Rhubarb Sour, American Wheat Ale, or an Irish Red Ale. Whatever you drink, make sure you pair it with Brouhaha’s signature pork scratchings.
- If you can’t choose between all the amazing breweries on offer, try a ‘Hinterland Exbeerience’ brewery tour and let these guys do all the hard work. You’ll get picked up, taken by bus to some of the best spots in the Hinterland with tours and tastings to really hone your beer knowledge!
- Find your zen at Maleny Yoga Retreat.
- Take a romantic walk and dangle your feet in the shallow rock pools of Gardners Falls, or get your adrenalin pumping as you leap into the icy cold waterhole. It’s a bit tricky to find, but totally worth it for an afternoon chilling in the shade and listening to the waterfall.
- Put your feet up in the garden with some house baked sweet treats and a Campos coffee at Shotgun Espresso. We can definitely vouch for their avo and ricotta smash, as well as their chilled Hinterland vibe.
- Immerse yourself in the dim corners of Rosetta Books. This old fashioned bookstore is exactly like bookshops used to be. Pick up a literary classic, or the latest trashy bestseller to devour on a weekend getaway. Either way, the expert staff totally know their stuff and will be even able to help you when you request “that book about the guy, that came out a few years ago. It had a yellow cover.”
- Get your vintage on as you sort through the retro antiques at Flaxton Barn.
- Sip your way through the tastings on offer at Flame Hill Winery. Try some of the more unusual grape varieties—tempranillo and barbera, or stick with your familiar faves like cab sav or chardonnay (pronounced with a hard ‘ch’, Kath and Kim style of course)
- Kick back in the peace and quiet at the Mapleton lilyponds. How’s the serenity?
- Go Dutch at Waffle-On Stroopwafels. It’s hard to go past the amazing toasted waffles piled with cream and fruit, but if you’re in a savoury mood, we recommend you try the Dutch croquettes. But whatever you do, grab a packet of stroopwafels to take home with you.
- Support our local producers when you grab an ethical, healthy snack at Maple Street Co-op. You’ll also find eco-friendly beauty products to make you look and feel fab.
- What about checking out these cafes for brekky or a smooth cup of coffee here. (Hint: We're talking about places like Monica's, peeps!
- And last but not least head over to Spicers Clovelly for five-star dining at The Long Apron. You might want to stay for the night too. We promise you'll feel like royalty from the moment you step foot in this uber-luxe estate.
- Pretend to be The Shark and play a round of golf at the award-winning 12-Hole Maleny Golf Course. Fore!
Not done yet?! What about checking out the other hinterland? We've rounded up the best things to do in the Noosa Hinterland here. What about the best things to do in Noosa here? We've also rounded up the best things to do in Buderim here.
Image credit: Amy Higg for The Urban List