For all the dog-owners out there we know how frustrating it can be not being able to bring your dog anywhere and everywhere. They already walk in the bathroom while we shower, sleep in our beds, and stare longingly at us (or rather, our food) while we eat.
So is it really so bad that we want to bring them to work, to the gym, to the beach, and even to the bar? Okay some of them are a bit more of a stretch than others, but we’ve sniffed out the best things you can do with your furry companion in Auckland so you have all of the options.
1. Park your pooch at Wynyard Quarter (he’ll probably gain a fan club by the time you return).
2. Chase the sunrise along the beachside path at Mission Bay.
3. And then rest at De Fontein for a beer in the sun and a puppy power nap.
4. On the way home, stop off at Judge's Bay for a doggy dip.
5. Start up an account and become #instafamous—your dog was made for the camera.
6. Go grab a french pastrie and get your groove on to some jazzy tunes at La Cigale French Market.
7. Go bike riding with your dog running loyally by your side (or put it in your basket).
8. Be adventurous and attempt rollerblading—then have your dog kiss all the bruises better.
9. What makes for a puppy paradise? Sand, mud, dirt and sticks, take a trip out to any of our glorious West Coast beaches!
10. Make Sunday sessions complete out at West Aucklands Hallertau Brewery, a doggy friendly resturant.
11. Roll around the ample grass at The Auckland Domain.
12. Or let Fido loose at Western Springs after grabbing a bite from Tiger Burger.
13. Head to the Wynyard Quarter any day of the week for a good feed (how much you share with your dog is up to you).
14. Stretch your legs (and your dog’s) at Auckland Botanical Gardens.
15. And then order a coffee at Cornwall Park Cafe, while relaxing on the bean bags outside.
16. Adopt a police-training dog—the perfect role model and companion to teach your pup a few new tricks.
17. Test your dog’s intelligence with the Pooch IQ Kit.
18. Visit a hospital or nursing home to cheer up patients (just make sure you get permission first, mmkay?)
19. Get your heart and legs pumping by running through the Te Ara | Whiti, the pink lightpath in Auckland CBD.
20. Or for some more sporty action, kick the footy with your dog at Ponsonby Rugby Club.
21. Enjoy some sunshine and rosé over on Waiheke while your fluffy companion dozes at your feet.
22. Dress up your dog sassy and fabulous with the cutest costumes ever.
23. Let loose and get sandy at Takapuna Beach (or one of these other dog-friendly beaches).
24. Then head to La Tropezienne for some freshly baked french pasteries.
25. Stand up paddle boarding—they can snooze on the board or paddle along with you (there’s no ‘I’ in ‘team’ after all).
26. If balance isn’t your thing (we can’t all be yogi masters), try kayaking with pup in tow instead.
27. Mingle with the other doggies and their owners at Catroux cafe in Westmere.
28. Then take a five minute stroll down to Cox's Bay dog park.
29. Glamping. There’s no reason why your dog can’t enjoy a luxe retreat with their favourite human.
30. Enjoy million dollar views at Paritai Drive.
31. When it rains, it pours, and we’d prefer to stay in doors. Snuggle up on the sofa with a movie (your furry friend will provide that extra warmth). We rounded up a few Netflix suggestions to get you going.
32. Play fetch-the-halls to give your dog an indoor run (rain can’t stop us).
33. Then again, splashing about in the rain is made that much cuter with this pup-mbrella.
34. Keen to catch some veiws? Head on up to Mt Eden Dog Park, situation half way up the mountain!
35. Pup needing a bit of a wash after all of this fun? Pop on into Animates Grey Lynn for a D.I.Y dog wash.
36. Take your dog for a pawfect picnic at Meola Reef dog park in Western Springs.
37. Go celeb spotting; we’re dying to see legend Boston Terrier (@macbostonterrier).
38. Dust off the Sunday hangover with sensational views and a sunshine walk along Takapuna beach.
39. Take your dog to an outdoor cinema.
40. Learn to skateboard—your dog will probably be a pro before you will.
41. Take a selfie on Mt Victoria.
42. Create an agility course in the comfort of your own backyard. You’ll totally win gold if you enter a Dog Show.
43. Heat up the BBQ at Long Bay with every man and his dog (literally) and good luck resisting those puppy eyes as you bite into your burger.
44. Throw a ball at Waikowhai Park in Hillsborough.
45. Grab a big, delicious treat from Little & Friday, and let your little mate have a run around.
46. Teach your dog a new trick—isn’t it about time you share the housework?
47. Throw your fave fluffy friend a birthday bash with all your dog’s closest pals.
48. No party is complete without sweets, so bake a doggy-friendly cake.
49. Head down to Victoria Park for a walk and a shop.
50. Enjoy a quiet afternoon out at the Dear Jervois. Your pup can be parked safely at the front door with a water bowl while you tuck in.