Exploring one of the world's most liveable cities doesn't have to hurt the old hip pocket. So, if you can only find a crisp pineapple in your purse or wallet, this is the list for you.
We've put together a range of great cheap things to do in Melbourne, and they'll set you back no more than $50. That's a good deal.
- Indulge in two scoops of Gelato Messina for $6.80, or go all out & feast on a 1.5 litre tup with five flavours for $29.
- Wondering what to do in Melbourne CBD? Hit up the American Doughnut Kitchen at Queen Vic for their famous hot jam doughnuts: 6 for $5.
- Check-in for a private group tasting at Whisky & Alement. Taste four specialty whiskeys for only $50 per person.
- Do yourself a favour and take a class. It can be anything from basket weaving to cooking—prices vary, but you can usually swing something for cheap.
- Check out Bounce Inc’s ninja warrior course (a freestyle playground comprised of 15 different obstacles). $16.90 gets you one hour
- See dinosaurs, creepy crawlies and more at Melbourne Museum. Adult tickets are $15 and kids go free.
- Take the ferry to Williamstown for the day. An adult ticket is just $32 return, which leaves you plenty for fish and chips.
- There's plenty of things to do with kids in Melbourne with kids, like geeking out at Scienceworks. $15.00 per person gets you in the door (the Planetarium is $8 extra).
Image credit: Museums Victoria
- Get up close & personal with the animals at Melbourne Zoo. Tickets are $37 for adults, $19 for kids (the little ones are free on the weekends).
- See a movie at the 3rd largest screen in the world, IMAX. Prices vary according to movie and times.
- Start your weekend off right with a free coffee tasting at Proud Mary’s. They run every Saturday morning at 10:30am. A must do on your list of things to do in Melbourne this weekend.
- Buy a $50 ticket to The Break Room. Break things. Feel good.
- Head to Republica on Thursdays for happy hour, live music and beach volleyball, in that order.
- Go old school at the Astor Theatre. A double feature is only $17.50, or $14 on Wicked Wednesdays.
- Relive some iconic sporting moments (and a few pies) on a guided MCG tour. Adults are just $25.
- Belt your heart out at KBOX Karaoke—$33 a head and all the applause you can grab.
- Stalk your favourite food truck and get your fill of food for around $15.
- Looking for free things to do in Melbourne? Check out Mountain Goat Brewery on a Wednesday night for a tour that'll cost you absolutely nothing.
- Pretend you're Tiger Woods at Albert Park Driving Range. 50 balls will set you back $11.
- Try barefoot bowling with your mates at Fitzroy Bowls Club for $20 per person.
- The Lilydale to Warburton Rail Trail is the perfect spot to walk or ride. Plus access is 100% FREE.
- Fill your stomach at one of Melbourne’s best parma & pot nights. You’ll find deals as cheap as $15.
- Drive around Toorak trying to locate the Real Housewives of Melbourne. It's free.
- Be impressed at Improv night at The Big Hoo Haa every Friday night. Tickets are $29pp.
- Find Nemo and friends at Melbourne Aquarium. Only $33.60 for adults if you book online.
- Grab a mate and challenge them to a round of mini golf at Holey Moley. You can do the full 27 hole course for $42pp.
image credit: supplied
- Blow off some steam with a game of pool at Red Triangle for $18 a table.
- Check out the latest exhibition at NGV. Pricing depends on the exhibition, but there's often a few freebies on show. The old hands-against-the-waterwall costs nothing, too.
- Feast on perfectly cooked crab at Miss Katie’s Crab Shack. $30 gets you crab, corn cob & a kransky.
- Hit up Strike Bowling with friends and enjoy a game for $16 per person.
- Stuff your face with dumplings & BYO wine in Chinatown. If it's over $50pp you're doing it wrong.
- Get moving! Check out where you can work out in Melbourne for free.
- Grab some cheap tapas at Asian Beer Cafe from 4pm to 8pm Monday to Saturday and all day Sunday.
- Get in the fiesta mood with Taco Tuesday at La Tortilleria, 3 tacos for $12. Plenty leftover for margaritas.
- Laugh out loud at Comedy Night at European Bier Cafe (on Thursdays). Entry's low as $12, depending on who’s performing.
- Head to Huxtaburger and get some drinks during happy hour—$5 beer and wine every damn day from 4-7pm.
Image credit: Jenna Fahey-White
- Ooh & ahh over the cute animals at the Collingwood Children's Farm. Only $25 for the whole family.
- Get boozy on a budget at The Shaw Davey Slum. Order a $20 jug of Aperol on Sunday.
- You haven’t lived until you’ve had a cheese & liquor flight at Milk the Cow. And they start from just $20.
- Take a day trip out to Emerald Lake via the Belgrave train line and Puffing Billy, one of Australia's oldest running steam trains that chugs through the pristine Dandenong Ranges.
- Drive to the Peninsula Hot Springs for one of the most relaxing experiences ever. Entry is $45 during off-peak.
- Test your knowledge at The Local Taphouse's famous Sunday night trivia. Entry is free.
- Increase your swagger factor with a $25 clip from Kings Domain.
Image credit: supplied
- Freak out over the best froyo in Melbourne at Yo-Chi. $50 will get you enough to feed an army
- Rent a kayak and explore Fairfield Boathouse & Tea Gardens (your pup can hop on the boat too).
- There's plenty of regular events in Melbourne, and you'll often find them at the Australian Centre for the Moving Image. They run a bunch of free exhibitions, workshops and educational programs.
- Seek out a vintage gem at one of Melbourne's best op shops. $50 will buy you a whole bloody wardrobe.
- Put $50 of petrol in the tank and cruise down to Torquay for a gloriously free surf.
- If for some reason you're short of things to do in Melbourne's city centre, you can hop on the free City Circle Tram and see Melbourne's best sights. Jump on and off as you please.
- Ride the Scenic Railway all day long with a $49.95 unlimited ride pass at Luna Park.
Bonus. Catching waves costs next to nothing. Here are all the best spots for learning to surf near Melbourne.
Image Credit: Peninsula Hot Springs