Image credit: Ellen Ji at Joy Oi Taqueria
Sydney certainly isn’t known for its affordability. In fact, it ranks up there in all of those “most expensive cities in the world” articles, which is not great news for those who don’t have a Scrooge McDuck-style money bin to dive into. Fortunately, we’ve done a bit of sleuthing and have found a bunch of fun things to do in Sydney that will cost you less than $20.
From eating and drinking on the cheap, to scenic walks and a little bit of art, these activities are not only a great way to spend your time, but also a great way NOT to spend your cash. You can thank us and Nimble when you’re not scrounging around for change in the back of the couch.
- Grab some friends and go bare foot bowling at Clovelly Bowling Club for only $12 per person. BYO sangas to cook on the BBQ.
- Go to a one-off yoga class at Fused To Move for $20.
- Say cheers (and save dollars) at Sydney’s best happy hours.
- Ride along Manly Beach on a cruiser bike from Manly Bike Tours for $19 per hour.
- For an iconic thing to do in Sydney, load up on fresh seafood at Sydney Fish Market and defend your purchases from the greedy and confident seagulls. You can get a decent spread for less than $20 per person.
- Taste various wines of the world at Vine Wine’s free wine tastings on Friday and Saturday evenings.
- Do the Bradley’s Head to Chowder Bay Walk—it’s literally priceless!
- On Saturdays, head to Eveleigh Markets and sample all the deliciousness from local growers and providores.
- Head to Sydney’s only remaining drive-in theatre in Blacktown. One car with two people will cost $20, which is essentially a $10 movie ticket. Bargain!
- Go on a free guided tour at the MCA then treat yo’ self to a wine with an amazing view at the MCA Café.
- Don your elasticised eating pants and get stuck into Sydney’s ultimate cheap eats.
- Spend the afternoon lounging by the harbour at MacCallum Pool in Cremorne. The best part (besides the harbour view)? It’s free!
- Get fishy at Manly Sea Life Sanctuary. Score yourself a ticket for only $17.50 when you buy online.
- Take a road trip to the Royal National Park and hang out riverside at Audley. Vehicle entry will cost you a mere $11 and if you can spare a $20 note, you can go canoeing on the Hacking River for an hour.
- Dance your butt off at these Sydney bars where the dancing doesn’t suck. Most of these venues don’t have cover charge, which means more cash can be spent on draaanks.
- Pick up a pencil and head to The ArtHouse Hotel for a bit of life drawing for only $5.
- Ever wanted to see where Big Ted and Jemima from Play School reside? The ABC run group tours for $9 per person where you can see the inner workings of this iconic Australian broadcaster.
- Pack a picnic and head to Royal Botanic Gardens. The view is free, just pay for whatever is in your picnic hamper.
- Take the stress away with a one-hour relaxation massage at the Australasian College of Natural Therapies for only $20.
- On Sundays, head to Watsons Bay Boutique Hotel to cheer on your favourite crustacean at their weekly crab races. Watching this spectacle is completely free.
To help you through those times when you’re short on cashola, we’ve partnered with our friends at Nimble to bring you the 20 best things to do in Sydney for under $20. These lists are researched and recommended by The Urban List and brought to you by Nimble. Still struggling on the cash front? See what Nimble might be able to do for you.