Exploring the world's most liveable city doesn't have to hurt the old hip pocket. We've put together a list of the Top 50 fun, delicious, and occasionally FREE things to do in Melbourne for less than a crisp pineapple (that's a $50 note, donchaknow)
Reckon you're a professional tight arse? How many of the below have you ticked off? Time to hunt for loose change behind the couch cushions, guys. These are the best things to do in Melbourne under $50.
1. Indulge in 3 scoops of Gelato Messina for $7, or go all out & feast on 21 scoops for $49. Score.
2. Hit up the American Doughnut Kitchen at Queen Vic for their famous hot jam doughnuts: 6 for $5, baby.
3. Check-in for a private group tasting at Whisky & Alement. Taste four specialty whiskeys for only $50 per person.
4. Do your noggin a favor and take a class. It can be anything from basket weaving to cooking—prices vary, but you can usually swing something for cheap.
5. Check out Bounce Inc’s ninja warrior course (a freestyle playground comprised of 15 different obstacles). $16.90 gets you one hour
6. See dinosaurs, creepy crawlies and more at Melbourne Museum. Adult tix are $14 and kids go free!
7. Take the ferry to Williamstown for the day. An adult ticket is just $28 return, which leaves you plenty for fish and chips.
8. Get your geek on at Scienceworks. $14.00 per person gets you in the door (the Planetarium is $8 extra).
9. Get up close & personal with the animals at Melbourne Zoo. Tix these days are $36 for adults, $18 for kids (the little ones are free on the weekends).
10. See a movie at the 3rd largest screen in the world, IMAX. Prices vary according to movie and times.
11. Start your weekend off right with a FREE coffee tasting at Proud Mary’s. They run every Saturday morning at 10:30am.
12. Buy a $50 ticket to The Break Room. Break things. Feel good.
13. Head to Republica on Thursdays for happy hour, live music and beach volleyball, in that order.
14. Go old school at the Astor Theatre. A double feature is usually only $17, or $14 on Wicked Wednesdays.
15. Relive some iconic sporting moments (and a few pies) on a guided MCG tour. Adults are just $24.
16. Belt your heart out at KBOX Karaoke—$33 a head and all the applause you can grab.
17. Stalk your favourite food truck and get your fill of food for around $15 (who are we kidding, you're getting two plates, right?)
18. Check out Mountain Goat Brewery on a Wednesday night for a free tour (and a cheeky brew or two).
19. Pretend you're Tiger Woods (you know, before it all fell apart) at Albert Park Driving Range. 50 balls will set you back $10.50.
20. Try barefoot bowling with your mates at Fitzroy Bowls Club for $15 per person (FYI: it's $20 from Nov-Dec).
21. The Lilydale to Warburton Rail Trail is the perfect spot to walk or ride. Plus access is 100% FREE.
22. Fill your belly at one Melbourne’s best parma & pot nights. You’ll find deals as cheap as $15!
23. Drive around Toorak trying to locate the Real Housewives of Melbourne. It's free (if you don't count the hit to your human dignity).
24. Be impressed at Improv night at The Big Hoo Haa every Friday night. Tix are $28pp.
25. Find Nemo and friends at Melbourne Aquarium. Only $33.60 for an adult if you book online.
26. Grab a mate and challenge them to a round of mini golf at Holey Moley. You can do the full 27 hole course for 49.50pp. No cheating now.
27. Blow off some steam with a game of pool at Red Triangle for $16 a table (half price if you go before 6pm!).
28. Check out the latest exhibition at NGV. Pricing depends on the exhibition, but there's often a few freebies on show. The old hands-against-the-waterwall costs nothing, too.
29. Feast on perfectly cooked crab at Miss Katie’s Crab Shack. $27 gets you crab, corn cob & a kransky. Score.
30. Hit up Strike Bowling with friends and enjoy two games for $29 per person.
31. Stuff your face with dumplings & BYO wine in Chinatown. If it's over $50pp you're doing it wrong.
32. Get moving! Check out where you can work out in Melbourne for free.
33. Grab some cheap tapas (four for $15) at Asian Beer Cafe from 11am-11pm.
34. Get in the fiesta mood with four tacos at Chingon for only $23! Plenty leftover for margaritas, right?
35. Laugh out loud at Comedy Night at European Bier Cafe (on Thursdays). Entry's low as $12, depending on who’s performing.
36. Head to Huxtaburger and get a DRAANKS meal—add Huxtabrew or glass of Huxtawine and large chips to your burger for $11.50.
37. Ooh & ahh over the cute animals at the Collingwood Children's Farm. Only $20 for the whole fam.
38. Get drunk on a budget at The Shaw Davey Slum. Order a $10 jug of house beer or cider on Saturday or Sunday. Game changer.
39. You haven’t lived until you’ve had a cheese & liquor flight at Milk the Cow. And they start from just $20.
40. Literally 'chill out' and enjoy a drink at the Chill On Ice Lounge. Entry is a cooool $39.
41. Drive to the Peninsula Hot Springs for one of THE MOST relaxing experiences ever. Entry is $40 during off-peak.
42. Test your knowledge at The Local Taphouse's famous Sunday night trivia. Entry is free!
43. Increase your swagger factor with a $50 cut throat shave or haircut from Kings Domain.
44. Freak out over the best froyo in Melbourne at Yo-Chi. $50 will get you enough to feed an army
45. Rent a kayak and explore Fairfield Boathouse & Tea Gardens (your pup can hop on the boat too).
46. Check out the Australian Centre for the Moving Image. They run a bunch of free exhibitions, workshops and educational programs.
47. Seek out a vintage gem at one of Melbourne's best op shops. $50 will buy you a whole bloody wardrobe.
48. Chuck $50 of petrol in the tank and cruise down to Torquay for a gloriously free surf.
49. Hop on the free City Circle Tram and see Melbourne's best sights. Jump on and off as you please.
50. Ride the Scenic Railway allllll day long with a $49.95 unlimited ride pass at Luna Park.
Image Credit: Peninsula Hot Springs