We've all been cooking a lot more of late, and now that your excellent cooking skills in the kitchen are at an all-time high, it's time to turn your hand to making an absolute classic.
The legendary IKEA Swedish meatballs recipe was released in early 2020, to help those that couldn't get to IKEA still get the iconic dish at home.
Here's how to make IKEA's Swedish meatballs.
- 500g beef mince
- 250g pork mince
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic (crushed or minced)
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons of milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash of oil
- 40g butter
- 40g plain flour
- 150ml vegetable stock
- 150ml beef stock
- 150ml thick double cream
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Combine beef and pork mince until all lumps are smoothed. Add finely chopped onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, egg, and mix. Then add milk and salt and pepper to taste.
- Grab small handfuls and roll into a ball shape. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours, this helps them firm up and hold their shape.
- Heat oil on medium in a frying pan. Once hot, add your meatballs and fry until brown on all sides.
- Add to an ovenproof dish and cover with aluminium. Place in an oven (180°C or 160°C fan) and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Melt 40g of butter in a frying pan.
- Whisk in 40g of plain flour stirring continuously for 2 minutes. Stir in 150ml of vegetable stock + 150ml of beef stock. Stir in 150ml thick double cream, 2 teaspoons of soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard. Bring to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken.
- Recommended to be served with potatoes.
For more great things to cook at home, check out our Recipes section.
Image credit: IKEA