Ah Caloundra, you beautiful southern end of the Coast, you. Everyone that lives there knows what a bloody great place you are, and the 4000 families that visit in the school holidays are obviously also aware. But to the rest of the Sunshine Coast, you seem to go almost unnoticed.
But fear not—we hear you, we see you, we know you and now we’re dishing up all the fun things to do in Caloundra for those who have no clue about you.
- If your week is feeling deprived of a German sausage, a hemp skirt and a snow cone then make sure you don’t miss out on The Caloundra Street Fair every Sunday.
- Hit up Bill’s Boat Hire on the esplanade in Golden Beach for a day on the water featuring some form of floatation device.
- And while you’re on your floatation device, head over to Bribie Island and check out the wildlife! (Kangaroos, sea cucumbers, 130-year-old fishermen etc...)
- Caloundra boasts a pretty delicious headland, so if walking/running/riding/dawdling and gossiping are some of the things you’re into then you should do it whilst taking in the views.
- Bowling and bevvies are a match made on Tinder. Try them out together at Spinners Bar and Bowl.
- Go check out the wrecks at Dicky Bea...oh...never mind. We mean, go check out Dicky Beach.
- If ‘hanging 10, man’ sounds like your cup of salt water, then you can’t go past a day hanging out at Moffat Beach. This has gotta be one of the most chilled out things to do in Caloundra.
- And speaking of Moffat Beach, you JUST HAVE TO visit The Pocket Espresso for an early morning coffee, backed up by a meal and an icy cold glass of vino.
- There’s about 4,802,673 picnic tables and barbecues scattered along the coastline starting at the butt end of Caloundra (Diamond Head) all the way to the top (Moffat Beach-ish). So, get up at 2am to nab one on a public holiday and set yourself up for a day of snags and beers.
- You can put your Bean Hunter app away! From Lamkin Lane to Malarkey Artisan Coffee, we’ve got you all your caffeine needs sorted with our definitive guide to the best coffee in Caloundra.
- BYO picnic blanket and pick a spot along the headland we can harping on about and watch the sunrise. Or, if like us, nothing is getting you out of bed before 6am, then aim for a sunset fiesta.
- If you love planes or aviation or flying cattle-class to Melbourne when Jetstar is having a special, then you can’t miss out on a visit to the Queensland Air Museum.
- Craving breakfast, lunch, snacks, doughnut fries, coffee, wine or a fruity cocktail? One Block Back is calling your name (and whispering sweet nothings in your ear) and a visit here is easily one of the best things to do in Caloundra if you're a foodie.
- If frolicking in water fountains sounds like something you or your children (probably your children) could be into, then make a beeline for Kings Beach.
- Ice skating!? In Caloundra!? Yes, it’s a bloody thing! How very uncharacteristic for the Sunshine Coast! But it’s a pretty cool (pun absolutely intended) thing to do on those hot summer days.
- And if it’s winter and your freezing your nuts off and ice skating sounds ‘ugh’, then lucky for you the ice skating rink turns back to being a regular rollerdrome. So if you’re feeling that 80s nostalgia coming on...you know where to head.
- A succinct list of the best things to do in Caloundra wouldn’t be complete without adding in a few mainys up and down Bulcock Street, with the windows down and obnoxious music blaring from the speakers.
- Do the words ‘homemade gelato’ give you a tastebud boner? Then you must visit Gelateria Milano.
- If you love sitting by the beach while eating and drinking (this is obviously everyone), then be sure to head down to Kings Beach. There’s heaps of great spots to grab some food and wine, like Kings Beach Bar.
- If you feel like spending some cash dollars (or just window shopping for us peasants) then you can’t go past checking out ALL the shops on Bulcock Street.
- Wanna get high? Try jumping out of a plane.
- Going to the Caloundra cinemas will make you feel like you’ve time travelled back to the 90s with its old-school vibe. So put on your favourite pair of platform sneakers and head out on a date.
- Grab yourself a jet ski from Caloundra Jet Ski Hire and explore the passage without falling off.
Looking for more things to do on the Sunshine Coast? How about escaping to the Noosa Hinterland?
Image credit: Amy Higg and Bianca White for The Urban List