The city is well and truly open and that means there's plenty happening around Melbourne's food scene. Here's what you need to know.
- Fine ice cream purveyors of the north side Billy Van Creamy is opening a new store in Brunswick, and if you visit their new digs between 5pm and 7pm today (Friday 26 February) you'll score yourself a free scoop.
- The gang behind Ichi Ni Nana, Ichi Ni Izakaya and 'the old' Espy has just opened doors to the reimagined three-level Hotel Fitzroy. There's a Japanese diner, a shiny new pasta bar and a rooftop—get the details here.
- Sizzlefest, Prahran Market's celebration of all things barbecue is back, and yes, that includes the iconic sausage competition. Suss out more here.
- CBCo Brewery is bringing their own spin to bottomless brunch with bottomless beerunch. No prizes for any guesses on what means. More here.
- St Kilda’s seltzer garden Pontoon Park is sticking around for a while longer. Get down for the last of summer for plenty of sips and pizza from Pontoon’s kitchen. Find out more here.
- A bar serving oysters and booze has opened up by the tan for post-run sips. It’s aptly titled the Tan Track Bar—more info here.
- A 100% renewable, off-grid Turkish street food eatery has opened up at Fed Square. It’s called atiyah, and you need to try their cheesy flatbread stat.
- Glou has opened on Collingwood’s Smith Street, a sustainable wine store focussing on kegged wine. That means it’s cheaper for you, and you’ll also be doing some good when you buy it.
- DOC Group is quickly taking over Carlton opening their fourth venue in the 3053. It’s called BIO, a completely vegetarian and plant-based diner—check out more here.
- Providoor has gone national, and you can now get the goods from some of our favourite restaurants (almost) wherever you are. Right now, they’re doing exclusive Christmas hampers from hospo heavyweights like Tokyo Tina, Gingerboy, Sunda and more—check ‘em out here.
- Melbourne stalwart Il Bacaro is turning 25 this year, and they’re reopening with a refreshed venue and updated menu drawing on their Venetian roots. Don’t worry, the Moreton Bay Bug Spaghettini is here to stay.
- Co-Lab Pantry was here for us in lockdown via our screens and various at-home restaurant-quality meals, and now they’re popping up with a grip of real-life events at some of Melbourne’s most-loved restaurants. Join them this weekend at Tipico or Rice Paper Scissors for chef's table dining, off-menu items and themed lunches. More info here.
Keep an eye on all the restaurants reopening around Melbourne here.
Image credit: Annika Kafcaloudis