Coronavirus may be the word of the minute, but we'll be damned if it's going to stop us from getting our next foodie fix. However we also realise that social distancing and staying in go hand-in-hand with the current climate, so with that in mind why not hit up one of the many eateries offering at-home delivery (hello, UberEats!), or quick pick up.
Not only will you be keeping yourself safe (and more importantly, filling that empty stomach of yours), you'll also be supporting local businesses who, let's be honest, are facing some pretty real struggles right now.
Just remember that if you're planning on heading in-store but don't want to hang around, you should order online or by phone where you can.
So what are you waiting for? Get your feasting face on and order up large from some of these mouthwatering spots, stat.
- Bar Céleste (K' Road)— one of the new kids on the K' Road block, they're leading the charge ATM with ‘La Cantine’—their new high quality fast-food side brand run out of Bar Céleste. Available open til close and running alongside the usual Céleste menu—La Cantine has you sussed for comfort eats to enjoy dine-in or takeaway.
- SMOKIN COLE BBQ (Grey Lynn)— this epic BBQ joint, run by Sir Richard Branson's former personal chef and specialising in melt-in-the-mouth meat dishes is taking phone orders for pick up. Check their fb page to see what's cooking today but get in quick, sell outs are inevitable.
- Peach's Hot Chicken (Panmure)— these guys have made the move to take away only for the time being, so get your fried chicken fix (some of the best in Auckland, FYI) by giving them a call or ordering through their website.
- Lord of the Fries (CBD and K' Road)— for vegan burgers and other goodies that are so legit, they'll have even the meat-lovers fooled. Available to go, or via UberEats.
- Mexico (Britomart, Ellerslie, Ponsonby, Takapuna, Silverdale, Sylvia Park)— these guys only recently introduced a take away menu, and boy are we now glad that they did. Get your hands on all manner of Mexican goodies, including their soft shell tacos and famous fried chicken.
- 1947 Eatery (CBD)— for an elevated Indian take away service look no further than this incredibly tasty and authentic cuisine dished up in the heart of the city. Take away menu available here and they're now taking phone orders for quick pick ups.
- Lowbrow (CBD and K' Road)— epic American feeds, including heavily-sauced sandos, fried chicken and more. Available either to go, or through UberEats.
- Burger Burger (Newmarket, Ponsonby, Takapuna)— for legit some of the best burgers in town (but you already knew that). Fortunately, their trademark deliciousness also comes in take away form.
- The Federal Delicatessen (CBD)— indulge in an all-American feast of poutine and pie (the sweet kind), both part of The Fed's to go menu, which they are encouraging people to pick up the phone and order.
- Amano and The Store (Britomart)— two amazing eateries, together offering beautiful counter food as well as tasty take away meals like pasta, salad and soup; available for quick pick-up every day of the year.
- Café Hanoi (Britomart)— these guys are jumping onboard the UberEats bandwagon, with all the Vietnamese goodies you can handle (because who wouldn't want a steaming hot bowl of noodles at a time like this?).
- Better Burger (Britomart, CBD, Ponsonby, Sylvia Park)— these guys will whip you up an epic burger stuffed with only the freshest ingredients that you can take home in just minutes.
- Fukoku and Ebisu (Britomart)— both restos are now taking phone orders for their innovative Japanese fare, which in the past has included Asian-style tacos.
- Bird On A Wire (Ponsonby and Takapuna)— tasty free-range chicken, whatever way you like it (fried, schnitzel-ed, in a burger). Available to go, or via UberEats.
- V.T. Station (Newmarket)— if you're curious to see what all the fuss is about at this hot new eatery, pick up the phone and order from their take away menu for a real Indian street food experience.
- Food Truck Garage (CBD and Ponsonby)— takeaways don't have to be unhealthy. Hit up the FTG for wholesome burgers and other drool-worthy dishes, which you can pick up in-store or order via Uber Eats.
- Paris Butter (Herne Bay)— the team here have introduced meals to go as a direct response to the Coronavirus crisis, including some epic $30 heat-and-eat options. You may even be tempted to dine in, considering they've halved the number of tables so people can sit further away from one another (a move we expect more restaurants to follow).
- SPQR (Ponsonby)— did you know these guys are on UberEats? Neither did we. Take advantage of this (timely) news and order up large on their trademark pizza and pasta dishes.
- Major Tom (Albany)— the kings of cabinet treats (including lamingtons the size of your face) are increasing their range to make it easier than ever to grab-and-go.
- Gemmayze Street (K' Road)— creators of delish Lebanese cuisine, made with love. Their most popular dishes are now available to take away, yay!
- Simon & Lee (Parnell)— home to some of the best Korean food in Auck, including bibimbap and fried chicken with a legit spice kick. Their entire menu (yes, you heard us right) is available to go.
- Kiss Kiss (Balmoral)— an epic Thai eatery, offering a newly opened drive-through window complete with contactless payment; as well as 10% off all take aways. Boom.
- Gorgeous Pizza & Pasta Bar (Mt Eden)— renowned throughtout Auckland as one of the best pizzerias around, Gorgeous are now offering take and bake pizzas—they start the baking process and you finish it off in your oven at home. You can even put these par-baked beauties in the freezer if you're after the long game. Just delicious. Call or FB message to leave your order.
- The Grove (CBD)— one of Auckland's top restaurants is now serving up a delivery service with a difference, where their kitchen staff will literally come to your home and cook for you (whaaat?). Dubbed 'The Grove at Home', your options include a pre-ordered a la carte meal, and a five course degustation with wine. Plus, you can even have their front-of-house staff join the party. Dreams do come true.
- Tiger Burger (Grey Lynn)— straight up some of the most flavoursome (and innovative) burgers that'll ever pass your lips, including their famous Kimcheese offering. Lucky for us, their goodies are all available to take away (get on the phone or visit their website).
- Electric Chicken (Morningside and K' Road)— get your fried chicken fix (and maybe some of their coveted 'crack' fries) through either their website, or UberEats. Their K' Road outlet may have only just opened, but plans are already afoot to offer the same options here.
- Fantail & Turtle (Goodside, Smales Farm)— this popular eatery is offering online ordering along with a novelty approach to pick-up, where you can call or text with your order number and car rego, then wait in the Goodside carpark for their staff to deliver the food right to your (car) door. Genius.
- Auckland Night Markets— we're super excited about this one, and know you will be too. These guys have introduced an app that enables home delivery of all your fave night market eats, seven days a week. You can download the app on Apple and Android.
- Sid At The French Café (Eden Terrace)— fancy something a little er, fancy? Then get your hands on some of the beautiful fare from this famed Auckland eatery, who have just announced they're entering the realm of take aways with epic $40 meals for two, changing daily. Plus, they're also partnering with Miann to offer some equally top-notch desserts. Available from Tuesday 24 March, with more deets available here.
- Bowl and Arrow (Newmarket and Orakei)— get your full health food fix (including some of the most beautiful smoothie bowls you'll ever see) through their website or UberEats, or share the love by gifting one of their prepaid cards to a mate. They even do Auckland-wide catering, providing food in individual serves, for those of you still working from the office.
- Cassia (CBD)— enjoy one of Cassia's famous curries (or other yummy dishes) at home, thanks to their new order and pick-up service which is also being offered by fellow restaurant, Sidart in Ponsonby. Two delish options available daily, including one vegetarian; with desserts also on offer thanks to their friends at Miann. Available from Tuesday 24 March, with more deets available here.
- Pickle Pickle (Eastridge)—load up on deep-fried pickles, fried chicken and other lip-licking treats from this Mission Bay newbie, thanks to UberEats.
- Cocoro (Ponsonby)— pick up your fill of modern Japanese food, which is by no means limited to sushi (though they do a damn good version of it, if you're interested).
Foxtrot Parlour (Ponsonby)— this Ponsonby Central fave is now offering online ordering and contactless collection or local delivery for some of their most popular menu items, as well as $30 take-out meals for two (think coconut fish curry, beef rendang, and chicken and chorizo casserole with paremsan polenta). See here for more details.
- Tokyo Club (Ponsonby)— take home some authentic Izakaya-style eats thanks to their new pick up service.
INCA (Newmarket)— spice up these trying times with some exotic fare from INCA, who will meet you curbside outside Newmarket Westfield for quick pick up, or deliver to your door.
Daily Bread (Newmarket and Point Chevalier)— pre-order any of their items—including delish freshly-baked pastries—for the ultimate quick pick up (and pick-me-up).
Cazador (Mt Eden)— get your hands on some of Cazador's most classic dishes, now available for pick-up or delivery.
Cibo (Parnell)— 'Drive-Thru Cibo' has officially launched, meaning you can enjoy their award-winning goodness without even coming into the restaurant.
Clay (K' Road)— these guys are offering a take out dinner menu; which you can pair with one of their beautiful wines.
Coco's Cantina (K' Road)— as with Peach's Hot Chicken, these guys are moving to takeout only for now; with ravioli and tiramisu amongst those dishes on offer.
- Baduzzi (Wynyard Quarter)— a top spot for Italian treats, including their iconic meatballs and tiramisu, both of which are available to take away. Delivery coming soon.
- Williams Eatery (Wynyard Quarter)— a fan favourite known for their moreish Mediterranean-style dishes, they're on UberEats and you can order through their website for pick up.
- Ima Cuisine (CBD)— best-known for their queue-causing hot cross buns but also popular for their tasty Middle Eastern dishes, they'll be teaming up with dessert maestros Miann to deliver goodies direct to your door (keep an eye on their respective FB pages for updates).
We'll keep adding to the list as more restaurants come on board but in the meantime, why not check out the healthiest deliveries in Auckland to have delivered to your door.
Image credit: Cafe Hanoi